• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Please! Rock Chip On new paint job :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please! Rock Chip On new paint job :(

My dad's 1963 Corvette split window was just painted, it was a 20,000 dollar paint job and on the way home a rock chipped the front

so my dad put some touch up paint and a dab of clearcoat:

So everyone points it out and i reall want it gone

(it's worse looking in person)

What can i do to get this out (same colour and same level as rest of paint) , i'll probably have what i need but will buy if i dont.

ALL help is appreciated

Thanks in advance
    "Learning Everyday To Spend More Money"

PC 7424,
    #6 #9 #7

Re: Help Please! Rock Chip On new paint job

If it were mine, I'd think about having the body shop sand the area and blend the paint into the base coat. Then clearcoat the whole panel.

Personally, I've never seen a spot look good with just touch up paint.

I'm not an expert in this area though.
    r. b.

Comment

should i possibly use 3000 grit sand paper and m105 to make it flush and blend?
      "Learning Everyday To Spend More Money"

PC 7424,
      #6 #9 #7

Comment

I would go back to body shop and let them fix it.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Sanding and buffing will not make it blend. It might lighten the area by exposing more metallic flake, but you will trade a dark blue spot for a spot that flashes silver.

Short of re-painting the panel your next best bet is to find a really good airbrush artist that specializes in matching paint on the spot.

Shame you aren't in San Diego- the best guy in the country at this lives here :/

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            Short of re-painting the panel your next best bet is to find a really good airbrush artist that specializes in matching paint on the spot.
            Is that cheaper that a repaint of a panel? (I'm referring to the average paint job)

If it is, then I'll keep it in mind next time around.
            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
              Is that cheaper that a repaint of a panel? (I'm referring to the average paint job)

If it is, then I'll keep it in mind next time around.
              Yes. It would likely be $100-250~ depending how pricey and how good the guy is.

I used a guy from Blending Colors, the owner, also named Mark (or Marc? not sure).

He was a really nice guy and he was amazing. He uses 6 or7 bottles of paint to blend every color car out there. He does it on the spot by eye balling it. He's an artist...

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');