• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wetsanding to remove clearcoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetsanding to remove clearcoat?

I have a 94 Mazda Protege' and the clear coat is wearing off of the hood and trunk. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself?

Thanks.

Re: Wetsanding to remove clearcoat?

The panels need to be refinished.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

It is some what like loosing a big thick piece of your skin, It needs fresh layers sprayed over a new base coat.

Comment

Since this is your first post to our forum, welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by Tee View Post
        I have a 94 Mazda Protege' and the clear coat is wearing off of the hood and trunk. Is there anything I can do to fix this myself?

Thanks.
        This question comes up fairly often and we always hate to be the bearer of bad news but the only honest fix is to either repaint the affected panels or repaint the entire car.

We keep a photo archive on the forum just to help people identify the actual problem and differentiate it from oxidation like you get with a single stage paint job.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It's a pity ,it's the hood and trunk(requiring full panel resprays),if it was the sides they can be blended,not perfect,but difficult to notice.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I looked at the clearcoat pictures and my car looks exactly like those in the pictures. If I'm not mistaken there was a picture of 94 mazda protege' with the exact color as mine. Because the clear coat was looking so bad, I used a scraper to try to remove some of it which took off a little of the paint. The roof of the car starting to peeli first and now the clear coat is just about gone because I scraped most of it off.

I'm still a little confused as to exactly what wet sanding does? It would be nice if they something to at least remove the clear coat when it starts to come off. Why does the clear coat start to peel? Just from the age of the car?? Also, would getting a single coat paint job be worth it? I found a guy online that does these. He said that the clear coat is mixed in with the paint. I really don't want to spend a whole lot on a paint job since the car is 15 years old.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');