• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint chips

Well I forgot to ask mike about the paint chips on the side of my car today in the open garage. Anyways, I have some paint chips that are all the way to the metal. I filled them in with touch up, but my question is, will a heavy cutting pad, some Ultimate compound, and a PC 7424 be enough to fix this? Or is this more of a wet-sand/rotary fix?
    Newb!

Re: Paint chips

Sadly, "it depends" but I will say this- I was able to do touch-up work, followed by 3,000 grit Unigrit sandpaper (Which is as rough as you need), and then HAND rub out the marks with Ultimate Compound and a foam Softbuff applicator pad.

No need for heavy wool or any of that, just be patient, and use the Ultimate Compound. The key is not to use cheap sandpaper, or too aggressive of grit sandpaper as they tend to leave deep gouges that are harder to get out.

Comment

Here's what I did for my chips last year

A littly Meg's Uni-grit #1000-#2000-#3000

Here's what it looked like after sanding

buffed out with Wool pad and M105

Comment

That was a job well done mario. If i can't get a hold of 105,would any of the consumer line products work after the sanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
          That was a job well done mario. If i can't get a hold of 105,would any of the consumer line products work after the sanding?
          Ultimate Compound by hand will work to remove finer grit sanding marks. If you try this, try only doing a small tiny spot first because besides the product, the other VERY important factor as to whether you can remove sanding marks by hand is your skills and abilities.

You don't want to sand down the hood of your car and then find out you can't get the sanding marks out by hand.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

^UC is a good product, you just might have to use a little more passion than if you had 105

Comment

How long do you need to let the touch-up paint dry/cure before proceeding?

I'm working on a lot of spots on the front of my Jeep. The touch-up paint sat for 6 days, and then I tried a test spot with some UC by hand - it seemed to remove some of the paint from within the ding as well as from around it, so I'm wondering if I just need to let the paint sit longer, or if light sanding will remove the excess around the chip while leaving the within the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by LongGone View Post
                How long do you need to let the touch-up paint dry/cure before proceeding?

I'm working on a lot of spots on the front of my Jeep. The touch-up paint sat for 6 days, and then I tried a test spot with some UC by hand - it seemed to remove some of the paint from within the ding as well as from around it, so I'm wondering if I just need to let the paint sit longer, or if light sanding will remove the excess around the chip while leaving the within the chip.
                You should make a new thread about this.
                Also I think this question has some answer already
                Here's a search on "paint chips"
                http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sea...archid=2433736

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');