• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to wetsand clearcoat on black firebird, but not sure all what I need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to wetsand clearcoat on black firebird, but not sure all what I need

I would like to wetsand the clearcoat on my black firebird but not sure how to do it correctly. I have experimented in the past with grit2000 paper and buffing the swirl marks but still not happy with the results. Can someone break it down for me in what steps I need to take and what products and tools I need. Thanks for any input!

Re: Want to wetsand clearcoat on black firebird, but not sure all what I need

You are brave! Are you a beginner? A rotary will be needed to get the tracers out. Although I did a VERY small section with a PC myself the other day and got them out. What are you trying to accomplish?
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I have some experience with a rotary. I have already wetsanded some spots on the firebird. I still would like to get rid of all the scratches in the clearcoat and bring it back like new. So can you help me or someone else kinda of lay out the steps, products, and tools that would be needed, thanks for replying!

Comment

You can use 1500 dry on a da or 2000 wet by hand. Go back over with 3000 on a da wet to remove about 80% of the 1500 or 2000 scratches. Wool pad on a rotary, but know you limits dont melt the clear coat. polish pad on rotary, polish with orbital to remove swirls, wax and so on.....
        It took me close to 10 years to be good at wetsanding a polishing a vehicle, and I did it everyday. Black aint somethin to mess with if you dont know what your doin 100%. I would recomend taking your time and do one panel at a time start to finish. Its gonna wear you out, lots of work. good luck..

Comment

maybe Mike Phillips can pitch in. He has a lot of experience here. I do not.
          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Originally posted by Roles View Post
            I would like to wet-sand the clearcoat on my black firebird but not sure how to do it correctly. I have experimented in the past with grit2000 paper and buffing the swirl marks but still not happy with the results. Can someone break it down for me in what steps I need to take and what products and tools I need. Thanks for any input!
            Is this a factory baked clear coat? (The original paint?)

If so, then walk away.

The paint will be to thin for you to successfully sand and buff out the entire car without at some point burning through the somewhere.

If the paint is hard at all... then sanding it will be easy, (putting in scratches), removing them, (taking scratches out), will be difficult and depending upon how hard the paint is... almost impossible to get them out 100% without making a mistake.

If you just had the entire car repainted and it's only a few days old then that's another matter.

Taking off to go Quad riding for the day, but we'll check back on this thread for your answer when we return.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree with Mike, if its the original paint just detail the car and live with the scratches. I have a 1998 black firebird, i'm also graduating with an automotive body repair degree this coming week and I had my car in the shop last year to repaint the front bumper, side mirrors, and headlight covers and while it was in the shop someone decides to back a truck into it, luckily it only scratched the top of the back bumper, but i had to wet sand an buff it out and it was very difficult. You mentioned you already sanded some areas so I would suggest to buff those areas out and see what you get. If those areas come out easily than you could just buff the rest of the car and that could possibly take out some scratches if you use the proper compound, but buffing a black car is a whole other story....good luck with which ever way you choose.

DJ

Comment

Wet sanding? On a black Firebird with hard GM paint? With no experience?
                Not a good idea at all!

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I bought this car used. I figured out later that it wasn't the original paint, especially after having the front bumer repainted and my autobody called and wanted to know if I knew that the bumper under that black paint was red, then I knew I was right. Anyway, I appreciate everybody's advice. I was just out in my garage wet sanding certain areas with scratches. I used some 3M finishing material and buffed those areas with a rotary buffer. I was able to bring back most of the shine. I know now that I need to order and use some of the Meguiar's products to be 100% successful.

Comment

If your experienced then you could use #84 on a w7006 pad to get most of the scratches out, follow that with some #83 and #80 on a W8006 pad and you should be good to go on removing those scratches. Top it with your preferred wax. Be careful, this is a sure fire way to burn your paint of if you go to far.
                    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');