• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wetsanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetsanding

Can this be done with the Cyclo, and sanding disks attachments, with the same results as the air palm sander.
    Booby
    See it gleam
    It's lonely at the top, so you better take someone with you.

Re: Wetsanding

I am not sure, but do you think it would be hard to wet sand a carbon fiber hood and then clear coat it

Comment

I have NO experience with wet sanding except touch-up paint. I am going to take the panels off my old monte carlo and practice wet sanding, and using the tools. Just looking for anyone with experience with using the cyclo, as the sander with its attachments.
      Booby
      See it gleam

Comment

I know with the PC it does not operate as fast as a Air powered DA and may leave "pigtails" that are a little harder to remove.
        You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Looks like I'll be reinvesting, at my wife's dismay I might add. I want to
          be able to get to water spots, and other things that I'm led to belive is
          done by wetsanding. How much water is in wetsanding ?
          Last edited by Booby; Dec 26, 2006, 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling is horible
          Booby
          See it gleam

Comment

Have you tried chemical cleaners like.

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

ScratchX

Quik Clay System

Wetsanding you want to do as a last resort.
            You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Wet sanding, especially by a beginner is best done on a scrap body panel and by hand.

Comment

I have tried them, maybe I'm not calling the defect by the right name. I did use the term, water spots. But I will try by hand though, good idea huh? Thanxs.
                Booby
                See it gleam

Comment

Originally posted by Booby View Post
                  Can this be done with the Cyclo, and sanding disks attachments, with the same results as the air palm sander.
                  Don't think there's a readily available sanding system to attach to the Cyclo, plus it probably wouldn't work very well.

Sanding is the last option for repairing below surface paint defects, before tackling what most would agree is the most difficult and filled-with-risk process, perhaps invest in a dual action polisher and try a cleaner/polish.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I agree with Mike. BTW, what kind of defect are you trying to remove?

As Mike said, this is your last option. This should be done in case you have very heavy oxidation, or something that is hard to remove with M85 (diamond cut compound) and a wool pad.

if you use a cyclo, you need a lot of experience to manage both buffing heads to do an even sangind cut. IMO, it doulw be better and safer to use a DA sander with a dry sanding method.

If the defect doesn't need sanding, use a rotary or a DA, whatever it's needed to remove it.

Hope this helps
                    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');