• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New paint grainy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint grainy?

I don't know if this the right forum or not, but I need some help. Sorry if it isn't.

Ok let me make a long story short. My car was parked, and some idiot back into it. The damage was only superficial, but it was enough that I had to get my whole rear bumper cover replaced.

So I went to the dealer body shop, so they could order me an OEM bumper for my Scion tC. They did the paint as well, but when I got it back the pain felt grainy. Not sharp grainy, but like smooth sand paper. Kinda like texture plastic. That's the best way I can describe it. You can also see it when the Sun reflects off it. Anyways, is it normal for new paint to have this feel? If so would wet sanding get rid of it? Or should I go back to the shop and ask them to repaint it?

-Thanks

It sounds like it has massive orange peel?

If so, and you're not happy with it, then take it back to the shop, find the manager of the body shop and tell him the workmanship of the re-paint is not acceptable.

I'm going to guess you've never wet-sanded? If not, you don't want to learn how on this component, wet-sanding requires a lot of experience plus all the products and tools to do the job correctly.

If they end up repainting the bumper, wash the car and inspect the car for bonded contaminants before you take the car to the shop. Then after they've done the work, wash the car and inspect the paint for above surface contaminants, you want to make sure they don't cover your car with overspray paint that will need to be clayed off from their painting process.

You also want to avoid them trying to do you a favor by having the shop boy, or the painters helper detail your entire car because chances are good they completely swirl it out and then you'll be in a world of hurt.

Best of luck to you...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yes it feels like a hard orange peel. It's only on one corner where you can feel this though. The rest of the bumper you can't feel it, but you can see it when the Sun reflects off it. And you're right, I've never wet-sanded before, so I was planning on taking my car to a pro-detailer, but I'm gonna see about a repaint first.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');