• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time with DACP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time with DACP

This quote from Tim:With the rotary at about 1750 RPM, DACP will break down rather quickly from the heat created by the rotary. As a result, a sparkling, deep, wet looking paint surface! If the buffer is moving too slow, it will not build up enough heat to do that task
    I was wondering, here in SoCal, on an average day, temp in the 70s, how long, in time, do you work DACP. I think I am not working it long enough, because in less than 20 secs. the product goes from the initial wet to a clear filmy look. I am afraid of going past that filmy look and causing some defects that I didn't have before I started out. I am appling product on the pad in a bullseye pattern.

Re: Time with DACP

Originally posted by bcgreen
    I was wondering, here in SoCal, on an average day, temp in the 70s, how long, in time, do you work DACP. I think I am not working it long enough, because in less than 20 secs. the product goes from the initial wet to a clear filmy look. I am afraid of going past that filmy look and causing some defects that I didn't have before I started out. I am applying product on the pad in a bullseye pattern. [/B]
    Just to make sure, you're using a rotary buffer correct?

If so, you never want to buff to a dry buff, that is until all the product is gone from the surface and there is no longer anything lubricating while the pad is in contact with the finish.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Doesn't that time period I have experienced rather short, or is that about normal? What is your polishing time with this product?
      Yes I am using he rotary.

Comment

Originally posted by bcgreen
        Doesn't that time period I have experienced rather short, or is that about normal? What is your polishing time with this product?
        Yes I am using he rotary.
        Yes that seems to be very short, you should be able to buff for minutes, not seconds, try increasing the amount of product you're using and drop your speed to around 1300 to 1500 rpms.

Clean your pad often when machine cleaning, especially with a M83

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I am using about 12 - 1300 and I think I have more product on the pad than I've seen used in the videos. I get a lot a slinging.

Comment

Hmmmm.....

Somethings wrong then.

It's difficult to demonstrate how to use the rotary buffer with a keyboard, perhaps we should hold a rotary buffer class for those that want to learn technique?

Are you cleaning your pad often?

What size pad and type of pad are you using?

Is this the car you brought by Meguiar's to show me a while back?
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I don't clean it as often as I should, but would that have a affect on the speed of the product to break down?
              The pad is mequiar's standard size, I think 6".
              Yes this is the vehicle you saw. Every now and then it needs polishing and so I've been using my rotary more often, nowadays, just to speed things up a bit.

Comment

I would be willing to donate my girlfriend's sister 2001 Toyota Tachoma, (black) this truck might have the worst swirl's I have seen in a long time. Let me know Mike if you are interested..The only draw back we would have to buff the whole truck..Perfect vehicle for a rotary buffer training class.

Comment

Hey,

It sounds like you are not cleaning your pads often enough. Once a pad becomes saturated, they will cause the product to gum up on the paint. This may be caused by the added friction of the saturated pad. This also could be one of the reasons the product is breaking down way too fast. When using #83, I suggest cleaning the pad after every panel. Plus, for now, use a slower speed around 1200 RPM until you get the hang of using the product.

Cheers!

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

To prevent slinging, I run my buffer initially at 900rpm, and as the product is spreaded evenly, I increase the speed to 1200rpm.
                    zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                      Hey,

It sounds like you are not cleaning your pads often enough. Once a pad becomes saturated, they will cause the product to gum up on the paint. This may be caused by the added friction of the saturated pad. This also could be one of the reasons the product is breaking down way too fast. When using #83, I suggest cleaning the pad after every panel. Plus, for now, use a slower speed around 1200 RPM until you get the hang of using the product.

Cheers!

Tim
                      It seems I have the same problem, (rather short polish time)even after I've washed my pads

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');