• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing between #84 and #85: what are the differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing between #84 and #85: what are the differences?

I'll be working on the Malibu next weekend, and I have both of these products. They both have very intimidating names, btw; "Compound Power Cleaner" and "Diamond Cut 2.0"!

I mean, one's a "9" and the other is a "10", so they both strong polishes. But what sets them apart from each other? How do each work? For those with experience with both, which do you prefer? Why?

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Hi Tom, while I have do not have extensive experience with these products, I have used both and keep them as part of my arsenal.

The CPC is very strong and I have used it to remove 1200 grit wetsanding marks with the rotary and a cutting pad. I know you know that both of these are rotary only products.... The finish that it leaves is IMPRESSIVE for a compoiund of this strength. I work it until it is *almost* dry, then wipe away with MF.

With the DC, I only use it with wool pads for the most severe of defects. I honestly see very little difference between the products, but that is just me. I am sure that the DC would work great with a foam pad, but when I need something that strong, I just straight to wool.

I know you know to follow up with other finer polishes so no need to waste my breath there.

I hope this helps a little, maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Comment

Hey Tom,

I suggest you use the #84 with the W-7006 Cutting Pad. Meg's #85 Diamond Cut is designed to be used with the W-4000 Wool Pad. Both are very aggressive.

With that said, I use both of these products but only for the worst possible defects and/or after wet sanding a finish. The #84/W-7006 combo tends to run a bit hotter which is a concern if you are not careful. However, using the #85 with the wool pad can create marring thanks in part to the wool pad. Either way, both need to be worked thoroughly with the rotary spinning 1750 RPM. If the product is not worked enough, or the speed is too low, marring is quite possible (more than if you had worked it the proper amount of time etc.) with either of these. Of the 2, my favorite is the #85 with the wool pad.

After either of these products, you will need to follow up with #83 DACP and a W-8006 Polishing Pad. After #85, I can usually jump right to the #83 DACP.

Just remember when using #84 or #85 to monitor the paint's surface temperature closely. Also, I suggest avoid using the products on plastic composite bumpers as heat from buffing will not dissipate as easily as metal.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks, guys. The Malibu is pretty beat up from last winter. I'll follow the dictum of starting with the least aggressive product first, #83, and move to #84 if I have to.

Last year I saw Rod Kraft (the east coast Mike Phillips) take a polishing pad with #84 and work it to a glass-like finish on a dark green metallic hood. It was pretty impressive.

Tom
        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Hey Tom,

The nice thing about using a rotary is the flexibility with product/pad combos. I have also used #83 DACP with a W-7006 Cutting Pad with the rotary spinning 1750 RPM. The finish turned out awesome!

Meg's #84 as you probably noticed requires a little longer to break down compared to #83. This is an advantage when it comes to dealing with severely marred finishes.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');