• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much product is left on paint after polishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much product is left on paint after polishing?

In my quest to perfect my rotary usage I seem to be struggling with the final polishing step. I have every combination of speed/pad/pressure/and product I can think of and still have light swirling/marring of the paint in the form of buffer marks. I think my main concern is trying to determine the proper amount of product to use and what the produc looks like when the polishing is complete. Do I need to use ALOT of product and stop polishing while there is still a uniform layer of product left on the paint or do I buff untill there is no product is visible?

Obviously w/out seeing my technique it is hard to evaluate what I am doing incorrectly but some guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting tired of hand polishing and using the DA as a last step, would like something faster. I'm sure getting a good workout though!

Thanks to all who reply!

I would recommend reading the below two threads in the Hot Topics because they discuss in detail working what can and what cannot be done with a rotary buffer as far as creating a swirl free finish.

Need HELP! - How to avoid holograms?

How to avoid swirls and holograms?

In the end, in order to guarantee a completely swirl free finish on a dark colored paint in bright lights, you're going to need to re-polish each panel either by hand or with a dual action polisher to insure any swirls induced by the direct drive circular contact between your pad and the paint is removed.

That, or use a coating or two of wax to insure any remaining holograms or swirls are eliminated.

Read the above two threads however, there is a lot of good information in them that would not be efficient to try to re-post into this thread.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the info, Mike. Alot of good stuff in those threads.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');