• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ROTARY is the BEST ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ROTARY is the BEST ?

Hello Everyone

I'm looking to know if you can please help me out I'm currently using the G110 v2. And I'm now ready to move up to a rotory buffer but I don't know which one is the best one. I will be doing a lot of wet sanding and would like the rotory buffer to be able to be easy. I have use the DA on some parts an has came out really good. But it takes longer then it should. Can you help
    Thank you ;-)

Re: Which ROTORY is the BEST ?

Personal preference but the Makita 9227C dials down to 600 RPM and this is a really nice feature for final polishing...

I prefer no handle or a stick handle, the D Handle or "Hoop Handle" looks cool but will tire out your forearm muscles after hours of work...

With a stick handle you can quickly and easily remove it or change sides...

Love the lightweight Flex for small parts or tight areas...

Being very careful, it was possible to run the thin, Flex 3403 in-between the side of the grill and the headlight bucket.

The above picture was a 1932 Ford Highboy Extreme Makeover we did, afterwards he did a burn out...

Here's a 1932 Ford Highboy with a Blown 502 Big Block Chevy launching at Autogeek after we removed the swirls and polished the paint to a swirl-free, high gl...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The Makita is a great tool! I own one and love it. But by all means check out the flex, and for that matter, the DeWalt. A lot of production shops around here use them because they're tough.

You really can't go wrong with any of the top brands. They are all good, just slightly different. Pick the one you like best.

However, I would suggest staying away from the cheap stuff - you'll probably be disapointed.....
      I saw it on the Internet...it must be true!

Comment

Love my Makita. Also have the small Flex rotary. I like the small size but I think minimum speed is 1000 - 11000 RPM's, which I don't like. I also don't care for how loud and annoying the motor is. It's definitely not as "quiet" and smooth as the Makita. But it does work well for small areas.
        -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Driven Auto Detail View Post
          Love my Makita. Also have the small Flex rotary. I like the small size but I think minimum speed is 1000 - 11000 RPM's, which I don't like. I also don't care for how loud and annoying the motor is. It's definitely not as "quiet" and smooth as the Makita. But it does work well for small areas.
          +1, I like the mini Flex for times when I need it, but it is loud, and also gets very very warm (almost hot) after some time in use.

The Makita 9227c is still the best, most well rounded rotary out there, IMO. I only wish it has a more sensitive speed trigger like the Hitachi, but nothing is perfect.
          Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

I have the Makita 9227 variable speed rotary. This is a fantastic machine and like all other Makita power tools it's quality made and built to last.

• Variable speed (0-3,000 RPM) with pre-set maximum speed dial; ideal for ultra slow polishing
            • Pre-set speed setting dial (600-3,000 RPM) for maximum control
            • Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
            • Weight 6.8 pounds

BobbyG

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
              +1, I like the mini Flex for times when I need it, but it is loud, and also gets very very warm (almost hot) after some time in use.
              Todd -

Would you say the Flex rotary we're discussing is a "must-have" for someone like yourself that does a lot of machine work? Or could you get by w/o a small rotary like that?
              -Mike

Comment

Another vote for the Makita 9227c. I sold my DeWalt DW849 to buy a Makita. The Soft Start feature and range of pre-set speeds make it unique among rotary polishers. The light weight (nearly 2 lbs less than a DeWalt) makes it easier to handle.

Comment

I have a harbor frieght variable speed rotary and it is great! I have done over 30 cars with it and it has not only outlasted the Megs v110g2 it was only $30!
                  I purchased the tool about a year and half to host my Velcro backing upholstery brush my primary mat and carpet too. I soon got the itch to throw on a few pads and test it out and it was down hill from there. Other than the fact that at hour 3 of detailing the head gets hot it's a very good machine and would challenge anyone fred a throw down aginst my machine

Comment

Makita 9227 is absolutely great machine. Especially its speed range starting at 600 rpm allows to pamper the paint.
                    Stepping up to the rotary league is a big move, however rotary buffers do work much faster. I'm a big fan of M105/ M205 for serious corrections.

Comment

Fred- you had better luck with yours than I did- I went through three of those HF rotaries detailing my 1990 SHO. They kept speeding up all by themselves. The last one sped up, the arbor broke loose, and the pad flew off the head and frisbee'd about 50 yards onto the highway next to my house. I looked at the rotary, then at the highway, then back at the rotary, and said "huh... guess we're done for today."
                      2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
                      2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

Originally posted by Driven Auto Detail View Post
                        Todd -

Would you say the Flex rotary we're discussing is a "must-have" for someone like yourself that does a lot of machine work? Or could you get by w/o a small rotary like that?
                        We ever we discuss polishers, we always have to remember they are highly personalized items. What works for some, doesn't work for others, and what is a must have for some isn't a must have for others.

IMO, no the Mini-Flex is not a must have. Long before I owned I mini rotary, I had always used full sized rotaries (both the Hitachi and the Makita) and never had a problem polishing areas with out it, even if it meant the rare occasion I had polish small areas by hand.

Of course there is the rare exception when it would be nice to have the smaller tool to get into those rare places where you cannot make a larger machine fit, but I don't find it to be a 'must-have'.
                        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Re: Which ROTARY is the BEST ?

I have a makita 9227 and I think that it's a fantastic machine: amazing soft start, triggervery very ballanced. The weight is not a problem: 2.9 Kg of realy power!!!

I have a goog impression about Shinex Festool ( http: //www.nordex-tools.de/festool-rotationspolierer-shinex-rap-150-fe/a-220591/ ).
                          It's very very light. The head not overheats...never and it is very ballanced.

Here in Italy it's more expensive than Makita.

Comment

I recently obtained a Dewalt 849 and I really like it. The detail shop I work at has two Dewalts that are used daily and they still work excellently.
                            .::.::.::.::.::.
                            Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Best - is truly a matter of personal taste. Some says the Dewalt DW849 is just to big and heavy but I like using it. Been wanting to buy some gears from Festool especially the rotary polisher and also some woodworking tools - but they are darn expensive.
                              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');