• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick! My Neighbor May Be Ruining His Paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick! My Neighbor May Be Ruining His Paint!

Sorry, don't have time to search and i'm about to freak out.

My neighbor just came home last week with a new BMW 135i.

He just came home with 6" Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher from Black and Decker and a bottle of Gold Class.

He told me hes gonna apply the gold class lightly with his applicator and then go to town with the Orbital Polisher.

He's washing his car right now so i have about 45 mins.

Should i yell and him to stop or is he gonna actually be okay??

I thank you in advance.

Re: Quick! My Neighbor May Be Ruining His Paint!

That buffer is too weak to do anything.. usefull or otherwise.

Still, his process sounds weird.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      That buffer is too weak to do anything.. usefull or otherwise.

Still, his process sounds weird.
      Mkay, so the worst he can do is create some holograms and the best is maybe a little shine?

by the way nice choice on subaru, that's wat i got.

Comment

The only way he can hurt his car with an orbital is if he uses dirty bonnets or if he throws the buffer at the car (or lets the cord scratch it). Other than that, not a whole lot of harm he can do.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
          if he throws the buffer at the car
          I lol'd. I pictured someone hurling their random orbital over their head at a door panel.
          James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
          Calais Auto Detailing
          CalaisDetails@aim.com
          www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

What's wrong with what he's intending to do?

He is washing his car... Good.
            He is going to apply some waxes on his car... No problem with that.

The black and decker orbital polisher IS a common tool for woodworking, fiberglass, and automotive finishes:

Comment

He should be ok. Basically, the random orbital is just for spreading wax, not defect removal. As long as he isn't trying to do any kind of paint correction by applying more pressure than needed. In that case I think he would have a problem. Try to talk him into using the orbital to spread the wax rather than spreading the wax and then using the orbital. Also, recommend claying the vehicle so that he has a clean surface to work with.

Also can you tell us what model Black and Decker he or she is using? A higher RPM model will not work.

Andy
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

It should be ok. Usually those buffers lack the power to do serious harm.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'd bet money he is just trying to follow directions. The bottle says to apply to the car and buff off. I'd mention something to him if it's a good friend, to me sounds like he really wants to take care of the car and is doing his best, just doesn't know how.

A quick tip for those cheap orbitals. Remove the cloth bonnet, scrape off all the cheap foam padding till you get to the plastic plate, glue/epoxy (I use hot glue) velcro all over the plastic, now you can use 6" foam pads like on a G110!!! The glue is key for the velcro, the first time I did this the adhesive backing of the velcro gave way and threw the pad clean off, I almost put a rotating plastic plate on a customer's car. It isn't complicated, I just put a bead of hot glue under the velcro and along the edges so it isn't going anywhere.

The thing still won't be any good for correction, but being able to swap out foam pads if they get dirty is handy, the motor actually rotates due to less weight, and the unit will last longer because that stock foam padding wears out quick.

First time i modded one it took 20min. second time about 10. Real easy, real quick, and much better. It makes the perfect machine wax applicator.

Comment

If anything, the B & D random orbital would be good for removing wax with a terry/micro fiber bonnet. No need to mod the B & D seeing as it won't be used for any serious detailing, just wax removal, which it will do well.

Comment

Isn't this the "Mastering the rotary buffer" Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Isn't this the "Mastering the rotary buffer" Forum

I was just about to say that

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');