• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any "How-to`s" on mastering rotary??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any "How-to`s" on mastering rotary??

Looking for ant guides that explains in pictures and words on which pads to use on what surfaces. Speeds to set the roatry to, depending og what kinda surface I`m working on and how mutch pressure I should lay on the rotary, and how I should place the pad on the paint - tilted or flat?

Tutor me

Re: Any "How-to`s" on mastering rotary??

First time poster, and like the poster above, I also want to learn to master the rotary. I am finally getting a variable speed rotary buffer this weekend, and have a few questions:

- I was going to start out by purchasing the backing plate, 8006 and 9006 pads, as well as the M80, and M83 polishes.

- I understand you should start with the M80, and 8006 pad, after claying the vehicle - then, move up to the M83 if needed. When applying the M80, should you just put polish on the pad, in an "X" design, and keep working it into a panel until the polish pretty much dissipates, or is there eventually a film left on the paint that you need to wipe off with a microfiber towel? I guess what I am asking, is how much polish should be applied, and how long should I work the polish in to a panel?

I have a red vehicle, with single stage paint, and it has several light scratches (from towel drying), and light spiderwebs from the previous owner. My plan was to start with the 8006 pad and M80, then maybe do a second pass with the 9006 pad, and M80, then wax by hand. Does this sound like a plan?

Comment

Well you will want to do a test spot first and find out what approach you need to take. First off do a spot with #80 on a 8006 pad, pull the car into the sun and inspect your work. If you don't like the results, then do #83 on a 7006 pad followed by #80 on the 8006 again. The #80 is less abrasive than #83 and should follow it, not the other way around. Also, if #80 ends up being enough for you, you probably won't want to use it on the 9006 pad being that its used for finishing. You can just follow #80 with a polish and wax of your choice.

The polish will not just dissapate and go away, there will be a residue to remove. The abrasives will break down as you work it, you will want to work in about 3x3 sections usually, that way the product on the surface stays moist. If you work too big of an area it will dry out and you will cause more problems. When the abrasives have broken down, it will leave a haze on the surface that has a similar look to a thin coat of wax. Thats when you know its time to remove it and reapply if needed.

If this is your first time, you will probably want to get a junk panel from a salvage yard to practice on so you don't burn through your own paint. A rotary requires lots of touch and feel for what you are doing. You will want to provide even more care being that you have a single stage paint, if you don't keep the buffer moving you will burn though the paint before you know it.

I don't know of any "how-to" videos on the rotary though. Read on here, search if you have questions and if you can't find your answer then ask. There are plenty of people here with years of experience in this that are happy to help. I highly suggest getting a test panel for practice though.
      "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Thank you for your reply. One follow up question....

You said the 9006 pad is for finishing. I plan to apply the final coat of wax by hand. When/What would I use the 9006 pad for - or what is it typically used for?

Comment

I'm not a rotar user...

Follow Mike's "How to articles and videos" link in this thread. It will take you to some Megiar's videos at the Autopia site. Very helpful to see a video of the techniques talked about. Most I viewed were with rotary, but also shows the dual-action polisher. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Comment

I just started a thread with tips that worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by soonercivic View Post
              I don't know of any "how-to" videos on the rotary though.
              Bob over at danase.com has one. When I get some more time and money I want to order it. If anyone has any experiance with the video let me know.
              Scott

Comment

Here is a link to the best infopage ever on MOL:

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

It tell`s you everything you need to know

Arne
                Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');