• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to learn how to use a rotary, and get no swirls....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to learn how to use a rotary, and get no swirls....

I have been practicing non stop, trying to figure out the correct way to use a rotary and not get any swirls. My goal with polishing cars(especially black cars) is to finish out my polishing using a rotary and #82 or #9. I think it gives some kick a$$ optical clarity, but I still get minor swirls everytime I try it.

I've tried low speeds(600 and 900), high speeds(1500-2000), lots of product, little product, no pressure, medium pressure, working it in short amounts of time and longer time. Nothing I do makes me satisfied. The paint itself is perfectly clear and exactly like I want it, but there are little swirls that I can see from the rotary. I'm using a 9006 pad by the way.

Can anyone help me? Teach me?

Thanks,
    Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: I want to learn how to use a rotary, and get no swirls....

The key with any buffing is to gradually step down the abrasiveness in your product. You may want to go over it with #80 on a 8006 pad after you do #82 or #9. The 9006 pad is intended for finishing, like waxes or polishes, you need to use the 8006 pad or possibly the 7006 if necessary.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Originally posted by soonercivic View Post
      The key with any buffing is to gradually step down the abrasiveness in your product. You may want to go over it with #80 on a 8006 pad after you do #82 or #9. The 9006 pad is intended for finishing, like waxes or polishes, you need to use the 8006 pad or possibly the 7006 if necessary.

Huh? #82 and #9 are both less aggressive than #80. Why would I want to go to a more aggressive product/pad combo after I finish with #82 or #9?

Right now, I am removing defects with an aggressive product(Solo, #83, etc...), then moving on to #80 with the PC and 8006 pad, then to #82 with the PC and a 7006 pad. I get great results using this plan on black cars. But, I want to take it a step further.

When I do use a rotary, in combination with the 9006 pad and #82, I can see the potential for an awesome finish. I just can't get past those pesky little swirls that it leaves. They are VERY minimal, but in my eyes they stand out like a freaking frieght train
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Are you keeping the pad flat on the surface of the vehicle? Or are you tilting it and using the sides of the pad more?

Also, this may be a big no no, i'm not a pro...but I will mist the pad with Last Touch (or a quick detailer) everytime I put product on the pad. This keeps things lubricated a bit more.

Comment

If your goal is to finish with a rotary, I would definetly recommend a less aggresive polish (82 or 9) with the 9000 series pad (9000 or 9006). I have finished some hard paints (think C6 Corvette) with 83 and an 8006 pad and had an amazing finish.

However, on soft paints (which you may be working on) it may be nearly impossible. If it is a soft/black paint, I would say it would be impossible.
          Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
            If your goal is to finish with a rotary, I would definetly recommend a less aggresive polish (82 or 9) with the 9000 series pad (9000 or 9006). I have finished some hard paints (think C6 Corvette) with 83 and an 8006 pad and had an amazing finish.

However, on soft paints (which you may be working on) it may be nearly impossible. If it is a soft/black paint, I would say it would be impossible.
            so you would finish with a random orbital then?

Comment

Originally posted by n737nc View Post

but I still get minor swirls everytime I try it.

And this is why you need to use a different tool with a different action for your last machine poslishing step.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Immaculate View Post
                so you would finish with a random orbital then?
                In this case, yes. This is why it is so very important to test an area on the paint before you quote somebody a price (if your a pro). Going over an entire vehicle with the PC can take 45 minutes to an hour or so. I always try to examen my work in direct sunlight.
                Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

well what i did was go to a bodyshop and ask for a hood. the guy said "there out back grab one". so i grabbed a black truck hood. let the practice begin. i have tourchered this hood and figured out what to use and when to use it. what is too far and not far enough. the hood looks like a mirror now. took it back and asked for a fender. oh btw the guy sold the hood and gave me $20. i was just going to show it to him then toss it in the dumpster.

Comment

Originally posted by badhemi View Post
                    ... i have tourchered this hood and figured out what to use and when to use it. what is too far and not far enough. the hood looks like a mirror now. took it back and asked for a fender. oh btw the guy sold the hood and gave me $20. ....

Comment

keep on stepping down in products
                      step down with pads too
                      dont let the product dry
                      start low on speed, work your way up, then work back down
                      dont force the buffer, move the hand on the trigger, not on the head

I can get swirl free results most of the time now with my rotary going from 600-1300-600 rpm with speed glaze as my finishing product with a 9006 pad. And swirls arent just masked, thats what I use on my car and it is still swirl free after months of washes. It isnt easy though to get a swirl free finish with a rotary and it isnt possible on every car.

Comment

this is some great info on the rotary ........keep up the good work meguiars

Comment

I have used the rotary on five vehicles now with mixed results on the final finish.

'97 red s-10 last Fall: still no holograms showing
                          '00 silver Impala last Fall: holograms probably won't ever show
                          '01 navy blue Sebring: didn't see holograms before the sealing with #21
                          '02 dark red Bonneville: same
                          '05 Laser blue Equinox: saw holograms after first wash

all were finished with Rotary/8006/#80 and sealed with #21

I've found that it helps to brush the pad after every application. Minnesota is pretty humid, and the product seems to gum up quickly if I don't do this.
                          "Do the job right, or don't do it!" - Dad

Comment

Even though the rotary buffer may leave a swirl free finish, as Mike said, It's necessary to use another type of machine that has a different motion to remove the last swirls remaining. the RB-PC combo (RB for the first tasks and the PC for final polishing and swirl removal) is much more consistent in leaving flawless finishes or less swirled finishes than a RB by itself.

3M offers now the Ultrafina SE system, which removes the last swirls (after using P-It 3000 compound and swirl remover) remaining by using a rotary buffer....but...has someone used it with all the P-it 3000 system? can someone please share their experience about the results of this product?
                            " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');