• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please tell me what i need!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please tell me what i need!!!!!!!!!!

I am fixing to buff my truck and i need some info on which products i should use to get teh best results. I have a 1997 f150 with half original paint and half about 4years old. My main objective is to get a lot of the orange peel out without sanding and get a mirror shine. I worked in a body shop for a year doing almost nothing but buffing vehicles. I always worked with wool pads though!!!! I think wool is too dangerous to use on mine and to much of a cut. I decided to use foam pads but i don't know what products to use with them. i figured i would use some sort of a mediun compound and then some sort of swirl remvoing glaze since the compound will make ahaze. Yall know how it gos, just let me know what meg's products would be my best bet. By the way, i used 3m's perfect it III extra cut compound then straight to the perfect it III Machine Glaze with the wool pads and turned out some great paint, i just don't knowif it would work the same with foam pads??????????????
    Baggin' and Draggin'

Hi speed demon,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Removing orange peel is done best by wet-sanding and then afterwords remove your sanding marks, trying to remove orange peel with a compound and a wool pad also works but you have less control over the process.

I don't know if under the circumstances you're working on Meguiar's has an official recommended process for what you want to do.

The follow up to this is if your working on cured paint, as in a factory cured clear coat and also a re-paint that is older, (also very cured by now), sanding will be easy, but removing the sanding marks will be easy or difficult depending on how hard both paint types are.

Your first post here is an excellent one, you're asking how to do some of the hardest work there is to do under some of the worst circumstances.

I'm currently on vacation and not in a position to type long posts, but here's a link to a related article I wrote...

Also, if you have a 3M background, give this a read to...

(Does anyone ever take a break from the forum world? )
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');