• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I think I know what pads I want, but how many of each do I really need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I think I know what pads I want, but how many of each do I really need?

Going to be ordering a Griots Garage 6" DA Buffer and most likely a 5" backplate so I can use 5.5" pads. I'll be detailing my pearl white 93 Acura Legend Coupe that, obviously due to its age, has some paint defects. I will be using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Wax.

How many pads do I need to buy for the compound?
    How many pads for the polish?
    How many for the wax?

Thought about getting a 6-pack of the LC Hydro Tech pads. Not sure what the best bang for the buck is out there and the right quantity I need

Thanks for your help!

Re: So I think I know what pads I want, but how many of each do I really need?

Well, generally speaking you would use a polishing pad for the UC and UP, and then finishing pad for wax.

It is a little hard to be exact after that, but 4 polishing and 2 finishing would likely be best if you can mix a 6-pack.

You want to use a new pad every so often when doing a lot of paint cleaning. If just spreading a polish or spreading a wax, you may not need to change, esp waxing is great when the pad is saturated.

Whether you would need 2 for UC and 2 for UP, or 3 for UC and just 1 to spread the UP around is hard to say offhand.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

So what your saying is I should actually use the same type of pad for both the Ultimate Compound and Polish? And should be fine with one finishing pad for the wax? I was under the impression that the Ultimate Compound, like M105, needed a cutting pad equivilant to meguiars yellow pad

Comment

Looks like I had confused myself. The Meguiars Yellow pad is actually a polishing pad where as the yellow LC pad is a cutting pad! I'll probly order 3 equivilant to the yellow and 3 equivilant to the black

Comment

Well, I'm not as much of an expert on all the various LC pads... but assuming you were to be going with ones equivalent to the Meguiars cutting/polishing/finishing pads, at least at first... then yeah, it can be a polishing pad for the UC and UP, and then finishing for wax.

Now of course there are all kinds of variations. If the UC finished off very nice, and you just wanted to use the UP for polishing oils, then you could go with a finishing pad for that as well. If you needed some defect/marring removal, then you may want a polishing pad for the UP.

The cutting pads are usually not recomended for use with a DA polisher. They can leave more scouring on the surface, which you usually avoid with the polishing pads.

Now I think LC calls some pads light cutting, that fall in closer to the Meguiars yellow polishing... so I will be talking in Meguiars terms, and there are charts out there to show where the different brands of pads line up.

Of course there are cases where people have used a cutting pad with a DA and it works, or may even be needed. Generally, we try to go with what works for 90-95% of cases at first, and sometimes something falls outside that. But if someone here, or another forum has worked on that car, and knows a bit more about the paint, that certainly can provide more info.

Comment

This is a reference guide to see how pads from Lake Country Mfg. and Meguiar's INC compare in terms of cutting abililty (the ability to remove materia

Comment

Thanks for the help. Was gonna go with the H20 line, but prolly will go with something else now

Comment

Probably a chart with those on somewhere, who knows.

Comment

Take a look over at LC... www.lakecountrymfg.com .

Bill

Comment

I use LC Hydro Tech pads and CCS pads. I like the HT pads better.

With the HT pads you have 3 choices, Cyan, Tangerine and Crimson. If you go with this line get 2 of each. If the Cyan leaves marring on the test spot then go with the tangerine and UC. Then UP with tangerine or crimson and finish with UW and crimson

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Gonna go with 2-3 pads each for compound/polish and going to just wax by hand now. I've narrowed my pad decision down to Buff and Shine 5.5" pads. Just not sure what colors to buy...

What color should I go with for the ultimate compound?
                      What color should I go with for the ultimate polish?

My car is a white 93 Acura Legend, which I hear has some soft paint.

Here's the link to the pads:

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');