• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My backing plate failed :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My backing plate failed :(

I was cleaning up my wife's C6 and while I was cleaning the pad, the center section of the backing plate broke off from the rest of it. *****! The pad and plate shot off and luckily hit the windshield pad first... WHEW!! Unfortunately I have a great looking white C6 on the driver's side and have to wait until I get a replacement backing plate to finish the passenger side.

Just a heads up to everyone else,you might want to be mindful of where you are and where you are facing while cleaning a pad on a DA that is in motion. I'm sure this was an isolated incident but worth sharing! I'll post pics of the finished product once I get another weekend off to finish it up.

Was it one of those darn 3 inch backing plates?
    Always searching for the best.... Keep it country!
    ---------
    SkiDoo Snowmobiles!

Comment

Re: My backing plate failed

No it was the one that came with my v2... The center section let loose... There was about a 1/2 dollar size of plastic still attached the the machine and the rest of the backing plate looked like a donut!

Comment

Hmm interesting. I haven't heard of that happening lol. I think you were going too fast :P haha just kiddin.
        Always searching for the best.... Keep it country!
        ---------
        SkiDoo Snowmobiles!

Comment

Never heard of that happening before (assuming I'm picturing what you're describing). Glad it didn't cause any issues!

Comment

I don't think I was going to fast (speed 4). But maybe it was user error. I usually clean the pad by holding a folded microfiber towel against the pad and turning the machine on. It doesn't spin all that fast, but it does remove the excess build up of product. Could this have been the cause?

I don't have a picture of the backing plate but if you hold the tip of your pointer finger to the tip of your thumb that is about the size of plastic that broke off from the center of the pad. (where it screws into the machine). The rest of backing plate (now with a hole in the middle) flew off.

Comment

I had one do the same thing. A call to Meguiars customer service was all it took. They replaced it no problem. Great people to deal with.
              Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
              317-513-4678

Comment

I thought about calling, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't my fault first. I've had a great experience with Meguiar's customer care in the past as well.

Comment

Hii is there anybody experiencing cracking W 68DA Backing plate? mine is cracking and looks like falling apart... I glued it inside the cracks...
                  "Does it come in black?" Bruce Wayne / Batman Begins

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');