• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have i removed too much clear coat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have i removed too much clear coat.

Hi, I have recently got a Meguiars DA for my birthday and was testing it out on my Audi TT removing some light swirls with #83 and #80 with a polishing and finishing pad. I got most of the swirls out but there were still a lot of imperfections and after doing a bit of research found out German cars can have quite hard lacquer so speaking to somebody on another forum i bought some ultra cut 105? and a cutting pad and did the bonnet with it.

All was ok and it turned out really well so decided to do the roof, but when i had done i noticed a sort of dull stripe at the edge of the roof and to me it looks like i may have removed too much clear coat, but the weird thing is i would expect the patch to fade into the good paint gradually but there is a definite line where the good paint and dull part starts and ends almost like a masked part of the roof off and went crazy with the DA then removed the tape.

Can anybody give me some advice or shed any light on this dull strip of paint.

Thanks, Tom

Re: Have i removed too much clear coat.

The car may have been painted before and that is what caused the tape line. When the car was dirty you wouldnt have really noticed it. Especially since it has a line on the roof.
    Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
    2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
    2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Thing is why would there be a tape line 2 inch from the end of the roof. Beyond the line its like if you imagine water sitting on the surface of the paint only on a smaller scale with the water being the clear coat and the paint being the paint, there are raised bits and lower bits and is not smooth to the touch.

I wonder if the car has been machine polished before and not left me much to play with........Should have bought a paint depth gauge

Comment

Is there any chance you could get some photos and share them with us so we can make a better guess at what is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          Is there any chance you could get some photos and share them with us so we can make a better guess at what is going on?
          I'll try and get some photos up ASAP but the weather isn't great atm. If i have gone through the clear coat it is advisable to do something about it? It is a bit annoying but its hardly noticable unless you look for it so i could just live with it but if its going to make things worse and 6 months down the line my paint is falling off i'll obviously do something about it.

Comment

clear coat

I think all is ok but since you are doing some cleaning labor, that spot was already there and you just noticed it, because you are doing a mayor cleaning on your car, m105 is pretty safe on a DA other than flex, search for a video on youtube (how safe is pc xp) from the user junkman and he uses this compound with an pc xp (close to g110 technology) and you will motice how safe is it.

Comment

Re: clear coat

Originally posted by thepanchmx View Post
              I think all is ok but since you are doing some cleaning labor, that spot was already there and you just noticed it, because you are doing a mayor cleaning on your car, m105 is pretty safe on a DA other than flex, search for a video on youtube (how safe is pc xp) from the user junkman and he uses this compound with an pc xp (close to g110 technology) and you will motice how safe is it.
              I'm pretty sure the spot wasn't there already as i've hand polished the car a few times and believe me i know every scratch on the car.

anyway i havn't got a close up picture to show exactly what i'm on about but here's a picture demonstrating the two dull bits of paintwork against a darkish reflection. In the light you can hardly tell its there.

Comment

Maybe they were there before and now you reveal them. Unless you put a very small dot of 105 on the center of a small pad and you move your DA straight across the roof twice on the direction, I don't see how 105 and DA could cause such strip. Even they are haze cause by 105, please try 80 to see you could clear them up.
                2010 Subaru Legacy GT - Graphite Gray Metallic

Comment

Have you tried hit this spot with a polish like 205 or UP and then maybe a ultra fine finishing polish?

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                  "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

It is possible to go through clear with an aggressive product like 105 on a DA. Pretty rare but it CAN happen. To see if you have gone through the clear take a clean polishing pad and go over the affected area with 83. If your paint colour transfers to your pad then sorry the clear has gone. If not then as others have said, it may be haze that can be cleared up with 80 or UP or maybe it has been there for a while and you only just noticed. If you have gone through the clear then yes it is best to get this repaired as soon as time / finances etc allow

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');