• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is not good to smoke, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is not good to smoke, right?

I decided to pull out the G110v2 today as I had gotten one for Christmas. I had prepped my wife's car and was ready to apply the swirl X. As I polished, I thought I smelt an electric smell. The machine then started to heat up pretty good. I do not think this kind of hot is normal. How hot does this thing get? Whether I had this thing set on 2 or 5, I kept smelling something. By the end of the session, the machine was literally smoking. I unplugged the machine an let it rest. I took off the backing plate. It looked as if the screws from the back plate had ground in the silver part of the buffer, the part that surround the bolt. Needless to say the whole experience was not a satisfying one. I did call Meguiars and was told to send it back for exchange. I am not hating on the product and certainly am willing to give it another try. I do have a couple questions.

1. How warm/hot should the back of the machine get?
    2. Should there be some washers or something to separate the backing plate from the unit?
    3. Should it be fairly easy to get the overlapping buffing lines like I have seen in the video?

I am pretty sure I struggled because the machine is defective but I figured I would ask to make sure.

I had clayed, swirllx then applied Ultimate Wax (paste) for the record. I bought it new and this was the first time using the machine.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

Re: It is not good to smoke, right?

No it should not get hot,,warm yes not hot. Yes, there should be a washer. Yes you should see the overlapping lines. Have you marked your backing plate to make sure it spins? If you dont have a washer it will not spin or do anything for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark58 View Post
      No it should not get hot,,warm yes not hot. Yes, there should be a washer. Yes you should see the overlapping lines. Have you marked your backing plate to make sure it spins? If you dont have a washer it will not spin or do anything for you.
      I do have the washer. I was wondering if that was enough as I had seen some scraping on the silver part of the machine. The backing plate was spinning but the unit got hot. I will send it back. The whole thing is odd. Thanks.

Comment

If using extension cord make sure it's 50 Ft max and heavy enough to carry the load.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');