• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ordered a new DA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered a new DA.

Not quite two years ago I bought a DA (being completely new to the process). Frankly, my expectations were not met inasmuch as my efforts didn't seem to produce the same results I saw on many posts to the Meguiar's forum. When considering the new microfiber system, I saw a demo where a mark was placed on the backing plate to observe the rotation of the backing plate/pad. I did that and to my shock, the backing plate wasn't spinning at all unless I put virtually no pressure on the unit. Even then it didn't spin so well. The last time I used it I actually had to hold it slightly off the surface of the paint so that it was barely making contact. No wonder I wasn't getting any results. I wasn't polishing at all! I don't think the thing has worked properly from the beginning.

I thought perhaps the brushes might need to be replaced (I have used it probably a total of 10 times and I have a small car), but I found that I'd have to send the unit to the manufacturer for the brushes to be replaced. Not only that, the threads on the side handle were stripped after just a few uses, rendering the handle useless.

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a Meguiar's 110v2 (they've been back ordered a long time), intrigued by the idea that it has more torque and therefore won't stop spinning when I apply pressure to it (and I'm not talking about a lot of pressure here--usually no more than the weight of the unit). I hope I finally see the results I originally expected.

Anyone want to buy a used Porter Cable 7424XP that doesn't work so well? Best offer plus shipping.

Re: I ordered a new DA.

OK how much?
    That was a smart decision you made.

Comment

Just a comment...

Sounds like you got the lemon of an 'XP'. I've been using an XP on everything from a Cushman Scooter to way to big RVs. Using every sized pad from 4" to 6-1/2", with no problems.

Sorry you had such bad results.

Bill

Comment

Cushman? I used to work on them 40 yrs ago. Had Cushman and Vespa dealership. I was thinking about his PC last night and was wondering if he used the WASHER and what size pads did he use?

Comment

The washer was installed.

I've used 6", 5.5" and 4" pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark58 View Post
            Cushman? I used to work on them 40 yrs ago. Had Cushman and Vespa dealership. I was thinking about his PC last night and was wondering if he used the WASHER and what size pads did he use?
            Yup, Cushman. Was the one that had the full engine cover/body-kinda like a box. I'm guessing '50-'53 time range. Older gent (isn't that a kettle calling the pot black kinda thing) here in town has a BOAT LOAD of them, he drove by when I was doing a boat and asked about 'shining' up the one he was driving. Single stage red! little M-04, 02 did a pretty good job. No cost, I just wanted to drive it...old far# said no!

To the OP: Sorry for the hi-jack.

Bill

Comment

Follow-up to the original post...

I used the Meguiars DA for the first time with the Meguiar's microfiber system over the Thanksgiving holiday on my MX-5. I was very pleased. It was great to apply pressure on the unit and not have it stop. It's also quieter than my other DA.

A couple of observations in general. I've read several comments about the soft paint on the MX-5. I can attest to that. As I was using an air hose to adjust my tire pressure a very slight accidental brushing of the hose against the roof produced quite the patch of fine scratches. Since I last polished the car it's accumulated light swirls visible in sunlight, so that prompted me to break out the new DA.

Even though the paint is "soft" I was surprised to find that I got results only by using the MF cutting pad and the defect removal MF forumula. The polishing formula and polishing pad didn't do anything at all. It finished very nicely with no further products needed other than a coat of Gold Class carnauba (my paint doesn't like NXT).

Anyway, the scratches are gone and some additional deeper long scratches were almost removed (I think I'm the only one who would see them now).

The paint on this car may drive me mad. It mars and scratches very easily and yet does not seem correctable unless I pull out the big guns and go very agressive.

I'm glad I bought the new Meguiar's DA.

Comment

Once you removed scratches, any additional fine scratches you might get could be removed with Ultimate Polishing Compound using green or white foam pad. No need to go back to more aggressive D300.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');