• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 Cavalier Z24 Project (black Car) (with pictures) Oxidation & scratch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Cavalier Z24 Project (black Car) (with pictures) Oxidation & scratch repair

Hello,

I've just purchased Meguiar's "Professional Dual Action Polisher". And well as all the pads, Polish, Finish, Red Pad and wool pad.

Here is a few pictures of the car I am working on "1998 Cavalier Z24." Sorry for the bad quality, I took them tonight on my iPhone after clay baring the hood and rear trunk lid for tests. During clay baring (black car) I started to see black specs all over the clay bar. I quickly stopped assuming that I was just picking up paint and scratching the rest of the car.

My question is from the three pictures above. What is my next step on these sections? Do I whip out the Polisher with the most aggressive pad down from the wool pad? Do I use the wool pad on the hood, deck lid or rear bumper? or do these parts require repainting and no amount of polisher will help?

If repainting a patch is required, does this forum have how to's on how to repaint large patches say the side of half the roof etc?
    Last edited by caseypayne69; Aug 26, 2011, 07:53 PM. Reason: Please delete post. I have an older one that I am using.

Re: 1998 Cavalier Z24 Project (black Car) (with pictures) Oxidation & scratch repair

Meguiars dosent recomend using the red pad for DA use if you have a yellow polishing pad I would use that. the clay looks like its picking bonded contaminants to me
    2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
    1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
    1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
    1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
    1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Re: 1998 Cavalier Z24 Project (black Car) (with pictures) Oxidation & scratch repair

I purchased a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire last year as my winter car, and as you may know Sunfire and Cavalier are virtually the same car. Mine is aslo black and has the same white peeling look - just more widespread.

I'm 95% positive thats clear coat failure and you will not be able to repair it with anything less than a repaint.

From my understanding oxidation mainly (perhaps only) occurs on single stage paint - meaning cars with just a color paint and no clear coat ie. classic cars 60's 70's - maybe 80's. I am unsure as to the exact timeline, but thats the jist of what I've learned from this forum in the past couple of months.

Comment

I agree the clear coat is shot. And the rear bumper is exposing the primer and base body. If you look at the pics. The front bumper has improved.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');