• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pc trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc trouble

Hey everyone. So yesterday I decided to do a little detail to my husbands car. I hadn't been washed or waxed since he bought it. Nothing much just a good thorough wash with NXT wash and wax with NXT 2.0 tech wax. Never used either products and wanted to try them out. I was going to use some swirl X but ran into an annoying problem while using my pc and decided to skip that step. Well the problem is, and I don't know if it's technique, but It works great for spreading wax because I don't need any pressure. When I started using the swirl x and applied a little downward pressure the disk would either stop rotating or would stop and start rotating in the opposite direction. I'm not entirely sure how I can fix this. I do have a mark on my bp so I know if it's moving or not. Do I need more downward pressure or am I not keeping even pressure on the pc causing it to not stay balanced on the paint? Any suggesting would be really helpful. Thanks

Hi
    What speed are you using for the Swirls? What pad type and size? Is the pad properly primed?
    Sounds like the speed this too slow, with any pressure the pad will stop and/or appear to be going backwards.
    Sometimes if the pad is not primed properly it doesn't glide along the paints surface smoothly causing it to stop or slow down rotation.
    Philip Miranda
    Miranda Mobile Auto Spa

Comment

Kristina, with the PC you frequently have to use a higher setting than with the G110v2. For example, for the v2 a setting of between 4 and 5 is recommended for 105 and UC where on my PC I have to use setting 5. Are you using Meg's polishing pads for the job? They reason I ask is that the pads that come with the PC don't cut at all. They're closer to a finishing pad.

Comment

Re: pc trouble

When you say, "pc," are specifically referring to a Porter Cable dual action buffer? The term PC has become kinda like "sheetrock," which actually is a specific brand, but whose use has become universal for wall board. I originally had a Porter Cable D/A and could easily stop the pad from spinning, especially on body creases, etc. Then I bought a Griot's Garage 6" D/A and was blown away by the extra power/torque that it had over the PC. Trying a higher speed and keeping the pad flat on the surface is about the only way to get more power to the pad.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Garage Troll View Post
          Kristina, with the PC you frequently have to use a higher setting than with the G110v2. For example, for the v2 a setting of between 4 and 5 is recommended for 105 and UC where on my PC I have to use setting 5. Are you using Meg's polishing pads for the job? They reason I ask is that the pads that come with the PC don't cut at all. They're closer to a finishing pad.
          I was using swirl X on a yellow meguiars polishing pad on a setting of 4, it sounds like i need to increase my power.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymz View Post
            When you say, "pc," are specifically referring to a Porter Cable dual action buffer? The term PC has become kinda like "sheetrock," which actually is a specific brand, but whose use has become universal for wall board. I originally had a Porter Cable D/A and could easily stop the pad from spinning, especially on body creases, etc. Then I bought a Griot's Garage 6" D/A and was blown away by the extra power/torque that it had over the PC. Trying a higher speed and keeping the pad flat on the surface is about the only way to get more power to the pad.

Jim
            I do indeed have a Porter Cable, a 7346 model. It sound like I need to work on technique and increase my power.

Comment

Originally posted by kristina27 View Post
              I do indeed have a Porter Cable, a 7346 model. It sound like I need to work on technique and increase my power.
              Or buy a Griots!

Jim

Comment

Yep, increase power and apply about 10-12 lbs of pressure. Make sure the pad is completely flat against the paint. If the pad isn't completely flat it won't spin.

Comment

7346 does not work as expected. I took mine back to Lowes and got my refund. Now I own GV110V2 and all ROTATION problems are gone.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');