• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G-100 and pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-100 and pads

Hello,

I have been considering getting the g-100 at some point, if I ever get around to saving the money..

But I was wondering about the number of pads/bonnets/towels you guys tend to use? Do you have one pad, either 8006 or 9006, for each cleaner, and polish and wax? and then one ultimate bonnet, or ultimate wipe for each product? And then just wash them somr with dawn/murhy's soap, and store in a baggy after use?

Thanks,
    Mat
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

I think you are set if you have a dedicated pad for each product, you never want to use one pad for more than one product in fear of botching the results during a polishing or waxing stage with residual compound left in the pad. I think meguiar's recommends that you don't wash the pads out, however I find that dawn does a good job of completely rinsing polish and wax out, though nxt is very hard to remove. Storing in a ziplock bag with the top left unsealed is the way to go.

Comment

I use one pad for each product how ever I do wash them by hand as described by travisdecpn and find that they come out looking like new just be gentle.

I keep at least one extra 8006 and 9006 pad around should I damage or drop one while I am detailing me vehicle. I also have 3 ultimate bonnets to remove the wax three is enough but I am going to get an extra next time I order from Meguiars.

Personally I only use the ultimate bonnet to remove the wax for the final buff so to speak. Not sure if anyone else uses them to remove other products.

I have 10 "normal" microfibers and use 8 or so then drop 2 so 10 seems to be right for me. I also have a "ultra plush" towel I use for the final wipe down after the ultimate bonnet just to remove the "wax dust". I also have one waffle weave for drying. Might pick up a few extra towels as well on my next Meguiars order.

hope that helps!
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I would have to agree with the responses so far, one pad per product seems to be good. I wouldn't risk using more than 1 product on a pad. I also keep a couple of spare ones handy in case I drop one. I have abour 5 or 6 Ultimate Bonnets but I never use them all for one detail.

I do not wash my pads. I let the extra residue dry then tap/brush it off.

As far as towels goes...

Rule #1: You can never have too many towels!

I tend to throw towels into the dirty pile fairly quickly so I probably use around 10, maybe 15 on SUVs and trucks, per exterior detail.

Another thing you should consider is hand applicator pads. These are very cheap and its worthwhile to have a bunch handy. I like to have hand foam and terry cloth applicators availible while I'm detailing.

Hope this helps!

Chris
        Last edited by Chris Nemlich; Mar 1, 2005, 09:53 AM.
        Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Nemlich
          Another thing you should consider is hand applicator pads. These are very cheap and its worthwhile to have a bunch handy. I like to hand foam and terry cloth applicators availible while I'm detailing.
          yes they are a must! Forgot about them! great for applying dressing to trim waxing the hard to reach places and tons of other uses.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks a lot guys ,

I have built up the 'hand tools' by now, plenty of foam applicator pads, etc. Just was a bit hard to tell how many G-100 foam pads, etc are best to use. Couldnt seem to find it anywhere, and the kits and collections didn't seem to match up the products exactly with the number of pads I would think I would need.

Thanks again,
            Mat
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 ... and the kits and collections didn't seem to match up the products exactly with the number of pads I would think I would need...
              Same reason hot dogs come in packs of ten while buns come in packs of eight. Must be some law of nature.

PC

Comment

I was wondering, should we wash all pads before we use it for the first time?
                1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
                2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

Since Meguiar's recommends no washing at all and this will be the most virgin these pads will ever be. I'd say go on and use them out of the bag.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');