• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Expectancy of the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Expectancy of the PC

Here is a question I have never seen being asked before. What is the life expectancy of the Porter Cable DA polisher? I've had mine for 7 years. I only use it on my car and sometimes other family members' cars. It seems very well built compared to cheaper orbitals so I get the impression the life span is very long!

Lowe's has them on sale for $80 and I was wondering if I should get another one. Mine works fine so it may be unnecessary to get a backup.

Has anyone ever worn one of these out? I have never heard of it.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

I know I've worn one out as has 2hotford, mostly an internal bearing problem. Starts to make more and more noise while you're using it and vibrations increase. I worn the electrical cord to the point the polisher wouldn't run unless the cord was jiggled all the time.

They are well built, that's for sure.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I figured if anyone wore one out, it would be you with all those weekend clinics and multiple users. Are the bearings replaceable or is that option not cost effective?

Mine is still going strong. It only vibrates when the speed is set to 6.0. And I just read yesterday that I'm not supposed to be doing that. I only run it at 6.0 when using #83 on stubborn scratches. At that speed and with a little bit of pressure, it actually generates a slight amount of heat. Almost works like a rotary. Very effective for swirl removal and the Meguiars pads hold up just fine. I realize this is something I shouldn't do on a regular basis though.

RamAirV1
      Last edited by RamAirV1; Feb 28, 2005, 01:12 PM.
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Every part of the machine can be replaced. This website has a complete breakdown of the PC as well as all of the parts.http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...rtercable/7336

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
          Every part of the machine can be replaced. This website has a complete breakdown of the PC as well as all of the parts.http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...rtercable/7336
          Thanks for the link!

RamAirV1
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hmmmmm.........I wonder why everybody's Lowes store has them on sale except the Lowes in my town?

Comment

As a matter of fact, does anyone happen to know where I may be able to find an add stating their Lowes store has the PC Polisher on sale? Maybe I can use it as leverage for my Lowes to sale it for $80.

Thanks

Comment

The closest Lowes near me is... Piscataway (isn't that where Meguiars hold their clinics?) It's a 20 minute drive for me. And I went there once and they still had it at $100. Wasn't too thrilled.

But, I recently got a new PC7424 with an extra pad (wife ordered, didn't know the pad wasn't needed) for under a $100. So I beat the store's price and certainly beat the Lowes.com price which needed tax and shipping.

Amazon.com was the name.
                1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
                2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

We use and abuse them and they run forever. I have three. Two in use and one back up. I replace them every five years if it runs good or not.

I just bought one at lowes for $100 and will be ebay-ing the old one soon.
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

You can always wait for Mike to put THE G-100A on sale here. I bought mine and it came with the backing plate and 1 polishing pad for $150. The best part. LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Comment

Life Expectancy of the PC

Mike,
                      Do you know when the G-100 will go back on sell???
                      Wash, Polish, Wax...Just Do IT!

Comment

Did anyone of you ever send in their G-100 or PC for service?

I'm in Manila and I'm concerned about it's maintenance regimen (if any). They're not locally available so I need to import.

I'm bent on getting one but I may need to order some parts that may need to be replaced.
                        Last edited by wetlook; Mar 11, 2005, 06:27 AM.
                        Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

The brushes for the motor are user replaceable and you can get them from Porter Cable.

RamAirV1
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hey,

I never got mine repaired; I replaced it with a new one. I figured that it gave me excellent service over the years. Plus, if I wore out a part, other parts must be showing wear as well.

Truthfully, I would not worry about spare parts etc... The PC is a strong tool. But like anything, will wear out with tremendous use. However, for most people, I really doubt that would happen in many many years!

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still curious though if detailing masters like Scottwax, Jimmy Buffit, Deltman, Superior Shine, etc. who use the PC more than any of us need to do any maintenance for them.
                              Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');