• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need new pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new pads

I've had my PC for several years now and my original set of Lake Country variable contact pads are about shot except for the black finishing pads. Now I need to get all new ones, but it seems they don't make the VC pads anymore. I have a 6" backing plate on my PC and it seems that everyone is using the 5" plates now. Plus it seems that pad choices are much greater than when I first bought my pc.

All these new variables are making my brain hurt. Should I switch to a 5" plate and go with the 5.5"-6.5" pads, or stay with my 6" plate and use 7" pads? Which pads are likely to gove me the most durability? I do my own car frequently and typically a half dozen or so cars throughout the summer so using a pad that only lasts 5 or 6 details is a waste for me as I don't make enough money detailing to constantly buy new pads as most of the money goes to help with bills & put gas in my car.

Any suggestions?
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: Need new pads

You have many choices of buffing pads. Here are very popular ones:

1. Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 - machine washable, come in 7" and 4" diameter, you need W68DA and S3BP backing plates with them (for DAs), W68 and W63 for rotary buffers. Come as black finishing pad, yellow polishing pad and burgundy cutting pad.

2. Lake Country Hydro Tech - 4", 5.5" and 6.5" are available. 5.5" version comes as low profile (7/8" thick). Work with Lake Country 3" and 5" backing plates. Available as crimson finishing, tangerine polishing and cyan cutting. Only 0.5" of their top foam layer absorbs product.

3. Lake Country CCS pads - many variations in all popular sizes:

If you look for long lasting pads Meg's Soft Buff 2.0 or Lake Country's CCS are very durable.

Comment

Re: Need new pads

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
      You have many choices of buffing pads. Here are very popular ones:

1. Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 - machine washable, come in 7" and 4" diameter, you need W68DA and S3BP backing plates with them (for DAs), W68 and W63 for rotary buffers. Come as black finishing pad, yellow polishing pad and burgundy cutting pad.

2. Lake Country Hydro Tech - 4", 5.5" and 6.5" are available. 5.5" version comes as low profile (7/8" thick). Work with Lake Country 3" and 5" backing plates. Available as crimson finishing, tangerine polishing and cyan cutting. Only 0.5" of their top foam layer absorbs product.

3. Lake Country CCS pads - many variations in all popular sizes:

If you look for long lasting pads Meg's Soft Buff 2.0 or Lake Country's CCS are very durable.

I have both the Megs Soft Buff and Lake Country CCS pads and both seem to be quite durable. One thing I noticed, even though the Megs say they are machine washable, I machine washed them once and it seemed to beat them up, so I don't machine wash anymore. I'm sure it's fine, but I personally just didn't like the way they came out. I wash by hand now using DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator:

DP Detailing Products - 25% Off Over $50! - Welcome to the next game changer in car care: DP Detailing Products! Car care you can trust when every detail counts In the spring of 1998, the team at Autogeek developed a new line of products, now ...

From the above link:

"Detailer’s Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator quickly releases caked-on polish and wax from foam and lambswool pads, allowing you to get more life out of your buffing pads."

"Your polishing pads will last longer and perform better!"

Just used the DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator a few days ago and boy was I impressed!!! It cleaned all the old wax and polish out of my Soft Buff and CCS pads that was left on there from last year!! I had washed them with Dawn before the end of the detailing season last fall, but it never did get all the residue out. This stuff is great and not only gets all the residue out, but it is very gentle on the pads also, IMHO.
      Kyla | 2006 Z71 Chevy Tahoe | 1986 Chevy Blazer dragster | 1951 Mercury coupe

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');