• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing swirls & scratches on '06 Jeep Liberty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: removing swirls & scratches on '06 Jeep Liberty

Originally posted by cjcruz View Post
    which yellow pad did you use? Meguiar's?
    I'm using the Lake Country 4" pads. Even with the yellow pad & the Ultra Compound, it still takes at least a couple passes to remove the swirls. I'm taking care to move the polisher very slowly, keeping it aligned with the surface, and applying quite a bit of force but still keeping the pad rotating.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday + about 8 hours today, and still have to do the lower part of one front door, one back door, a rear quarter panel, the tailgate, and the roof. I expect it'll take me a couple more days just to finish this phase (Ultra Compound) before I can move on to the next phase. Whew!

But, wow, even after just the Ultra Compound, it's looking like a new vehicle!

Comment

Hi All, I wanted to follow up now that I've made some good progress, after you were all good enough to lend some very useful advice.

I have finished the following on all but the roof & doorjambs, and I still need to poke at the areas around the emblems. But all the rest is "done". I'm using a 7424XP with 4" pads.

1. Ultimate Compound, LC Yellow Pads
      2. Swirl Remover 2.0, LC Orange Pads
      3. Show Car Glaze, LC Black Pads
      4. NXT Tech Wax 2.0, LC Blue Pads

So far I have spent about 7 (long) days of work on this.

Here are a few shots showing the results. I'm curious what you'all think .

Here's what it looked like before I started. OK from a distance, but up close, swirl city... and in hindsight, pretty dull

Then after:

And a couple close-ups:

Comment

Ooooooo, VERY nice indeed!!!! You really made that blue pop!!!!

I recently ordered some 4" LC pads and I'm anxious to start using them!

Keep up the great work!!! Lookin' great!
        Kyla | 2006 Z71 Chevy Tahoe | 1986 Chevy Blazer dragster | 1951 Mercury coupe

Comment

looks great! nice job
          Joel
          1976 Cutlass S
          2001 PT Cruiser
          1990 454SS
          Suburban

Comment

Nice job on the Liberty! The blue really jumps out!

Comment

great work! i am a user of the m105. i dont have the experience with a rotary and dont mind the time it takes. and i have yet messed up a paint job with it. i personally like to follow up with m205, as that is what the pros here recommended and it worked great.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! It's been a huge job - and there's still more to go .

Tomsteve, just to clarify, I used Ultimate Compound, as was recommended here (not to be confused with M105 Ultra Cut). I used Swirl Remover 2.0 as opposed to M205 Ultra Finishing Polish. I'm actually very please with how the Swirl Remover worked... it took out some light scratches that were still left after the Ultimate Compound, as well as some holograms that were created while using the UC.

The only problem is since it's a Jeep, I'll be taking it out to get really dirty before long, and the whole time I'll be paranoid about new scratches & swirls...

Comment

i'm gonna have to try that swirl remover. you could always get some masking film and mask the whole jeep off before you hit the trails!!

Comment

Hmmm, yeah, that's an idea

Comment

Nice results.

After running around in the dirt, use a pressure washer and then wash with a proper "2 bucket" method, and you'll really minimize new scratches.
                      2010 Camaro SS RS (black), "OBSSEST"

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');