• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water/ moisture in M66?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water/ moisture in M66?

I was using M66 on my wife's silver CX-7 the other day and noticed that just about every time I was applying the M66, there would be small droplets of what appeared to be water. The main problem with those water droplets is that they would dry as water spots and I would have to rub kind of hard to remove them when removing the M66 after it hazed up.

From the best of my recollection, I would apply a small amount of M66 to a yellow polishing pad and apply with my G100. I was using around a 3.5 or 4 speed, with just a little added pressure to the weight of the DA.

Is it possible that my M66 is bad, or should I be applying it with a finishing pad instead, or??? I made sure that I shook the M66 up really good. It was happening both when I immediately started as well as after a decent amount had gotten into the pad.

Here is a picture of the droplets, though a bit difficult to see because of the lighter color of the paint. (It's toward the upper middle of the image.)

Re: Water/ moisture in M66?

Have you been using any other waxes having this problem, i know as soon as I hit a tiny wet spot I may have forgotten to dry it makes a mess like that.
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

The only other wax I've used in a long time is NXT Tech Wax, and I have not had that problem. Of course, that leads me to wonder if it's the pad I was using, as I apply the NXT with a finishing pad.

I'm absolutely sure the area was dry, so it's not water that was sitting on the car that the pad picked up.

I just remembered that I did a small spritz of Quick Detailer to the pad before using, because it was pretty dry. Could that be it?

Comment

No need adding anything besides your wax to the finishing pad.
        "Every moment frontin and maxin
        Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
        "

Comment

The type of pad shouldnt affect it like that.... wouldnt think the QD would either.

Does it squeeze onto your pad as a proper 'cream', or any seperation?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I think that the product was not shaken up all the way. I have not heard of that problem with #66.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Condensation? How was the humidity / temp when you were applying it? Was the car warm and the wax cold by any chance?
              NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                No need adding anything besides your wax to the finishing pad.
                I was using a polishing pad, not a finishing pad with the 66.

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                The type of pad shouldnt affect it like that.... wouldnt think the QD would either.

Does it squeeze onto your pad as a proper 'cream', or any seperation?
                It was definitely seperated when I first took it out, but I shook for quite a while, so it was a consistant cream.

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                I think that the product was not shaken up all the way. I have not heard of that problem with #66.
                I shook it for a while until I could tell it was not seperated any more. You can kind of tell with a clear squeez bottle as the solids are lighter and the liquids (oils?) are darker.

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                Condensation? How was the humidity / temp when you were applying it? Was the car warm and the wax cold by any chance?
                Nice and dry outside, in the shade, both car and wax (I assume) were pretty darn close to similar temps.

Comment

I had a batch of 66 that didn't get used for about 2 years and it broke down and was ruined, had to throw it out. It acted like you described.

Comment

Yeah, the being completely seperated would worry me a bit.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                      Yeah, the being completely seperated would worry me a bit.
                      Even when mixed back together thoroughly? That would kind of **** because I have more than 3/4 of a gallon that I haven't used.

Comment

While it sat, before your next use. Did you re shake it before applying it to your pad? Or figure that I already shook it, it's okay?

May be if it is a older batch. You have to keep on shaking between uses.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I did not shake in between applications. However, I noticed on the first application after it was shaken quite vigorously.

Is it possible I sprayed on too much QD on the pad at the beginning? If that's the case, though, how does that explain the moisture throughout the application?

Comment

Isn't this similar to the "sweating" of NXT?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');