• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help a Newb get started from SCRATCH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a Newb get started from SCRATCH

I have a craftsman orbital buffer, but i want to step up and play with the big boys here at MOL now.

I'm going home next month on winter break, and haven't done anything to my car since August besides washing it once every 2 weeks. It needs some TLC to say the least.

It's a Black 1997 Ford Mustang GT. Repainted in June of 1999, so the paint is 5 and a half years old. I've always battled swirl mark problems, so i want to try to rid myself of them completely next month.

What do i need to buy for a "starter kit"???? I have NXT tec wax, Zaino car wash, Z-6 detail spray, clay bar kit, and 3M swirl remover for dark cars (doesn't work that great though).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt H.
    Last edited by Matt97GT; Nov 20, 2004, 09:22 AM.
    '97 Mustang GT
    Black/Black leather

Check out the great Holiday offer recently announced here

This is a great kit if you already have an orbital .. just make sure the backing plate is compatable with your model.

cheers
    Mark

Comment

Hi Matt...Welcome to the forum!

If you're planning to use the Craftsman buffer to remove swirls, then you might be disappointed in the end....But even so, an orbital is better than hand application alone.

I would recommend Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner as this product will help remove some of the swirls, and make them less noticeable too.

You can then followup with M-81 Hand Polish, and then NXT.

Don't forget to clay the surface after washing.
      r. b.

Comment

First thing first, choose a company and stick to their line. I see no advantage in mixing brands of products. I will assume you’re interested in Meguiars products.

Before you go out and buy anything learn everything you can about your vehicles finish and about defects that are common to an automotive finish. Also learn how to prevent damaging your finish.

When you can identify (diagnosis) what a vehicles finish requires to be at its best, then you can select what tools and products you will need for your circumstance.

After you make your equipment and product selection you will need to train yourself on proper application and cleaning/polishing technique. Using the product properly is just as important as choosing the correct product.

After a little trail and error and some practice you will achieve BRILLIANT results.
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Here is a link to some valuable info.
          r. b.

Comment

thanks guys. In the past i usually stuck with all zaino and 3m products. Now i'm starting to switch over to meguiars because of the price and the fact i can drive a couple mins and pick the stuff up at my local pep boys as opposed to having to order it online and wait 3-4 days while paying 8 bucks for shipping.

I'm looking to ditch the craftsman orbital for the G-100 (just waiting for a good deal I hate the foam bonnets made for the craftsman because they start to shredat the edge into a million tiny pieces about half way through doing the car.
            '97 Mustang GT
            Black/Black leather

Comment

Originally posted by Matt97GT
              I'm looking to ditch the craftsman orbital for the G-100 (just waiting for a good deal I hate the foam bonnets made for the craftsman because they start to shredat the edge into a million tiny pieces about half way through doing the car.
              You'll be glad you did.......It's a very simple machine to use too.
              r. b.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');