• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G110 Backing Plate interchangeability...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G110 Backing Plate interchangeability...

Does the standard-issue backing plate for the PC7424 fit the G110? What about the smaller backing plates for 4" pads? Do these screw in the same way, with the same tools, and function the same on the G110 as the PC?

Asking for a friend who just bought a G110 but is now lamenting the lack of pad size choices...

Re: G110 Backing Plate interchangeability...

You need different back plate sizes for different pads. For instance a 5" backplate might be good for 5.5 to 7" pads. If you use anything smaller you run the risk of hitting the paint with the backplate exposed

Comment

Originally posted by Chop View Post
      You need different back plate sizes for different pads. For instance a 5" backplate might be good for 5.5 to 7" pads. If you use anything smaller you run the risk of hitting the paint with the backplate exposed
      I know...that's why he wants to know if PC7424 backing plates can be used on a G110 since it currently only offers one size. Do you know if the 7424 bp's can be used on the Meg's machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
        I know...that's why he wants to know if PC7424 backing plates can be used on a G110 since it currently only offers one size. Do you know if the 7424 bp's can be used on the Meg's machine?
        If it's a standard 5/16" thread, he can probably screw it on. But the real problem might be the G110's counter weight. I think the G110 counter weight is set to handle something as small as a 4.75" BP, but I don't know how it would function with a smaller BP.

Comment

Don't worry about the counterweights. You may see a difference if you are sanding, but it doesn't matter if you are just polishing.

The W64DA, W67, and W68 DA all work with the G110, G100, 7424, 7336, etc. The W64DA and W67 will work with the Soft Buff 6.5" and Soft Buff 2.0 pads. The W68DA plate is for using the Soft Buff 2.0 pads. It provides complete coverage of the pad, so you increase the cut. Also, the pads center very easily.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

PorscheGuy997: I have w64da backing plate. Based on your response this plate will work with the new 2.0 7in pads. Would there be a difference in results if I upgraded the backing plate to the w68da? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I didn't want to post a new thread. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by JSIN151 View Post
              PorscheGuy997: I have w64da backing plate. Based on your response this plate will work with the new 2.0 7in pads. Would there be a difference in results if I upgraded the backing plate to the w68da? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I didn't want to post a new thread. Thank you
              The 68DA was speciically designed with the New 2.o pads in mind I believe so it's perfectly centered. You could also use the w64da without no problems.

Comment

I was at the local paint supply store yesterday and just about purchased an adapter set for the G110. It had the exact same threads/sizes as the G110 and it would work perfectly. It came with three 4" pads (Cut/Polish/Buff) and the necessary adapter backing plate.
                99' FRC Corvette
                08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Originally posted by Demon_C5 View Post
                  I was at the local paint supply store yesterday and just about purchased an adapter set for the G110. It had the exact same threads/sizes as the G110 and it would work perfectly. It came with three 4" pads (Cut/Polish/Buff) and the necessary adapter backing plate.
                  Nice! Now you can finally get all those hard to polish areas on the Vette taken care of. How did that job turn out, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                    Nice! Now you can finally get all those hard to polish areas on the Vette taken care of. How did that job turn out, by the way?
                    Was out all week on a business trip, finally have some time to get started on it this afternoon. Heading out in a bit to do so. I didn't purchase that adapter kit yet, wanted to try it out by hand first before spending another $25.
                    99' FRC Corvette
                    08' Sky RedLine

Comment

Originally posted by JSIN151 View Post
                      PorscheGuy997: I have w64da backing plate. Based on your response this plate will work with the new 2.0 7in pads. Would there be a difference in results if I upgraded the backing plate to the w68da?
                      You will see a difference between the W64DA and the W68DA. Because the W64DA is a smaller plate, it does not support the entire pad. When you add pressure, only the size of the plate is supported. The W68DA supports the entire pad, which increases the cut.
                      Chris
                      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Thank you for the info

Comment

So....to confirm, a 4 inch backing plate would work without issue?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');