• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Micromarring with M205 and DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Micromarring with M205 and DA

Originally posted by dnoraker View Post
    My plan for now is to just finish this gig with the rotary and M205 on the finishing pad. The holograms were slight enough that the wax will mask it
    UGH! Read your own sig!

Try this...

Get a yellow polishing pad(Meg's brand) and the DA. Apply M205(about 2-3 drops). With ZERO pressure on speed 5, make 4-5 passes.

Let me know how this works for you.

Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Nick- I was just doing the best I could with the allotted time and resources. This is the first time I've had a problem with this product/pad combo after three details. The other black car I did didn't have this problem, in fact that customer gave me a $50 tip because he was so shocked at how good it looked for 150k. I ALWAYS exceed expectations.

I just tried two suggestions:

1. M205, yellow polishing pad via DA, speed 5, moderate to heavy pressure, 4 passes each direction, slow arm speed, 12x18" area, fresh primed pad: no marring, but a little bit cloudy compared to the rotary/finishing pad/M205

2. same thing, but finishing pad: only slightly more "cloudy" compared to the rotary section, but so close it would take a trained eye to tell the difference, and even then it was darned close. Definitely preferable to holograms, though.

#2 it is! gotta go. Have deadline. Thanks for all your suggestions, whether mentioned in this thread or in other threads I've read.
      "Do the job right, or don't do it!" - Dad

Comment

I bet if you did a light polishing by hand with a foam pad and 205 after that it would finish out as black as the rotary would get it, I bet you wouldn't even need to put a whole lot of passion into it

Comment

Well, things turned out fine. I got it done just in time. I don't have time to mess with a bunch of pics, but here is the general idea:

In a nutshell, here was my process on the paint:

1. rotary/yellow polishing pad/M205 on everything
          (rotary/so1o light wool pad/M105 on hood where the worst swirling was)
          2. DA/black finishing pad/M205 speed 5 staying with more pressure in an area about the size of a Meguiars microfiber towel
          3. DA/black pad/NXT 2.0
          4. Go get a double cheeseburger at Culvers!

Comment

I had the same problems with a recent job, and found M205 with a yellow polishing pad, VERY little product and no pressure to be the answer. Here is the post...
            Working on an extreme makeover? Show it off/seek advice here. We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Glad you got it all worked out, and the customer is happy(guess thats all that matters).

Nick
            2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
            2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

I don't know how anyone makes money detailing the right way. I barely got this guy to pay $175 for exterior-only, and I didn't get tipped like I always have. I didn't log my hours, but it must have been in the 12 hour range, so maybe $12/hour? If I had gone through the whole compounding process, I'm sure it would have been more like 15-20 hours total. I would have needed to charge at least $400 to make something like that worthwhile, but I would get laughed at, and $20 isn't anything to get excited about!

Anyway, it's good to know some other options to try so I don't take so long next time trying to find the right one. I also hate that feeling of not being able to get it done right, and you've only got so much time until the customer picks it up.

Any good threads on being efficient with buffing with either machine? I want to get it done right, but I can't make any money at the pace I've had to go. I know that having an assistant that's making $10/hr or so helps, but I often can't find someone to help. I'm just a part-timer.

Comment

The detailer has to be happy too!

I only wish I could have moved a little slower with the DA- I think I could have gotten it slightly more clear.

I've also found it hard to do something in between a cleaner/wax and full-bore buffing to get 99.99% of the scratches out like on my own car. I have done a lot of jobs where they wanted it better than the usual, but didn't want to pay much more. I usually add a step with M205 via rotary/polishing pad followed by DA/finishing pad and M205 for that, but then I see that with that extra step with a wool pad I could get it darned near perfect and it drives me insane!

Comment

What a read, good thread... not much I can add except some paints just don't polish out very well, it will always make you appreciate paints that do polish out well.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Not sure if this ok to post but what i have found out if the 205 doesn't finish down that well instead of going over the 205 again with another pad .I will break out the ultrafina and finish down with that alot easier to use and time wise you won't loose much.As Mike mentoned some paints just don't finish down well .Ultrafina always finishes down .Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by dnoraker View Post
                      In a nutshell, here was my process on the paint:

1. rotary/yellow polishing pad/M205 on everything
                      (rotary/so1o light wool pad/M105 on hood where the worst swirling was)
                      2. DA/black finishing pad/M205 speed 5 staying with more pressure in an area about the size of a Meguiars microfiber towel
                      3. DA/black pad/NXT 2.0
                      4. Go get a double cheeseburger at Culvers!
                      I assume you are using Meg's black finishing pad.
                      Al
                      ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Yes. I'm using all Meguiars 7" washable pads.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');