• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pad cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've washed my pads (especially the 9006) at least 12 times using the following method.

1. Mix 1 part Oil Eater Cleaner & Degreaser (I think my wife got this at Target or Costco) with 4 parts warm water in a plastic bucket.
    2. Put the pad in face down and squeeze until clean. The Oil Eater will dissolve the wax pretty fast...maybe 4-6 squeezes.
    3. Remove pad and run under warm water, squeezing the degreaser out of the pad.
    4. After the final squeeze, I place the pad in a folded "garage" bath towel and fold the towel to sandwich the pad in the towel. Then step on the towel a few times. This removes 95%+ water.
    5. Air dry overnight.

I know Meguiar's does not recommend washing, but this degreaser my wife bought (to clean the garage floor) is really good stuff. It sorta reminds me of the wheel cleaners out there.

Like I said, I've washed the pads several times with no ill effects.
    Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

I think I'll try that, thanks! Purple Power (diluted) should work as well. My dedicated #83 DACP pad is becoming stiff even though I've brushed it out as the manual advises. It's no problem since #83 is abrasive anyway, but I would like to keep my polishing and waxing pads soft for obvious reasons. Washing the pads with your method sould make them like new each time, right?
      Thanks,
      Slats
      -------------
      John 17:3
      -------------

Comment

er "should" make them.....I hate my spelling!

And I'm actually in college......

Slats
        -------------
        John 17:3
        -------------

Comment

All my pads including the Megs respond well to washing, that is: gently using a SMALL amount of Dawn and a tooth brush( if even necessary) with warm, not piping hot water, rinsing well in cool water and either spinning drying on the PC or simply waiting a day for them to air dry
          my product collection-- New !
          My Detailing Credo
          Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Dont burn me for this

I havent used the megiuars pads but i have used 3m pads and i just pressure wash them out.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');