• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference in pads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in pads.

I know about the type of pads we normally use, W7006 vs W8006 vs W9006, now my question is this.

For example, what's the difference between the W8006 vs WDFP7 (So1o system) and the W9006 vs WWFF7 (So1o system)

I just want to know what's the difference, is it mainly that the So1o System Pads are designed for New Paint? Could they be used on normal paint delivering the same results as the W8006 or the W9006?

Just curiosity

Re: Difference in pads.

The Solo pads are new design made to be part of the Solo System, the idea being a dedicated system of pads and products for the body shop industry that will take care of the needs of the shop while keeping the system simple.

We think the foam used for the two yellow pads is the same foam type but the black foam used in the Solo finishing pad is different than the foam used to make the W-9006 pad.

Don't think there's any rules against using the Solo pads outside of the Solo system or visa-versa with our traditional pads with the Solo system but the Solo pads are the Meguiar's recommended pads for the Solo system, going outside the recommendation is as always a person's prerogative.

Best thing to do is to get your hands on some and give them a test drive and see which ones you like best for the type of work you're doing.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Would there be a problem due to the increased pad size?
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
        Would there be a problem due to the increased pad size?
        And here's one of the reasons we put a limit on how long a person has to edit a post. 5 seconds ago I was answering a post you made and then when we decided to start over and "quote" you your post completely changed.

There shouldn't be any problems because the Solo pads are a tad larger than the 6.5" pads or a tad smaller than our 8" pads
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here was the original post:

The So1o pads have a diamond pattern on the face of the pad to prevent chatter, heat, and skipping when using a rotary polisher.

Here's the original link:
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997
            Here was the original post:

The So1o pads have a diamond pattern on the face of the pad to prevent chatter, heat, and skipping when using a rotary polisher.

Here's the original link:
            http://forumarchive.meguiars.com/for...ead/24506.aspx

And here's what you wrote,

I have been waiting for someone to ask this question, but I haven't seen anything. So, here it goes.

Some of the products from the Solo line seem very similar to the Pro series. What is the difference between the Pro backing plate and the Solo plate (other than size)? Those that have used it, do you like it better?

The Light Cutting Wool pad seems interesting. How does it compare to maybe something like a foam cutting pad?

The foam pads have also changed. Is the Solo polishing pad similar to the Pro polishing pad in cutting power? Same with the finishing pad? Does the diamond pattern make it easier to use?

I just purchased a Makita rotary and I was interested in the Solo Series, but I've only heard a few things about it. Although I will not be polishing vehicles with fresh paint, I just wanted to use the pads and other equipment to get the advantage over the Pro Series. I'm always looking for the next best thing.

Thanks for your help!
            First, we try to make sure every question posted on this forum gets answered, but sometimes a few slip through the crack. Besides working on the public side of this forum we have a lot of typing-intensive duties we do behind the scene and as such we stay busy and typing time is always very valuable.

As to your questions,

I have been waiting for someone to ask this question, but I haven't seen anything. So, here it goes.

Some of the products from the Solo line seem very similar to the Pro series. What is the difference between the Pro backing plate and the Solo plate (other than size)? Those that have used it, do you like it better?
            The Solo Backing Plate has a thick foam interface to give the backing plate more flexibility with the idea being it's a little more forgiving to Newbies learning how to use a rotary buffer or just not proficient with it it to start with. Most of the time, (not all the time but most the time), you're supposed to hold the pad flat to the surface, the extra foam in the backing plate is supposed to help correct angle by compressing when a person isn't holding the pad completely flat to the surface.

The Light Cutting Wool pad seems interesting. How does it compare to maybe something like a foam cutting pad?
            Fiber pads tend to be more aggressive than foam pads because with a fiber type pad the fibers themselves are a type of abrasive that will cut into the paint individually while foam is in stark contrast since it provides a flat, even surface against the paint.

Wool or fiber pads tend to cut faster but the individual fibers that make up the pad, since they cut the finish will always leave some level of swirls, (scratches or cuts), in the paint. Foam pads help you to get away from swirls because you don't have individual fibers cutting the paint.

Make sense?

The foam pads have also changed.

Is the Solo polishing pad similar to the Pro polishing pad in cutting power?
            Yes. Another way to say it would be the foam types themselves are similar in their cleaning and polishing power. This assumes whenever you do a comparison all other factors are equal.

Same with the finishing pad?
            We believe the there is small difference in foam formulas between the black Solo finishing pad and our tan foam finishing pads, we'll check with Jason Rose to make sure. Big picture is you're not going to see a difference at the finish results all things being equal as they are both finishing pads.

Does the diamond pattern make it easier to use?
            That's the idea, instead of 100% surface contact you have some grooves cut-out of the foam which decrease the overall surface area in contact with the paint reducing drag and friction and also at some level trapping air between the pad and the paint with the overall effect supposedly making it easier to use with less buffer hop and chatter.

I just purchased a Makita rotary
            Welcome to the machine...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike,
              I understand
              Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              the idea being a dedicated system of pads and products for the body shop industry that will take care of the needs of the shop while keeping the system simple.
              I just work with Rotary and DA with the professional line and I must say that I have the black so1o system pad and never used it, what I like is that comes in a bad that you can use, it's like a zip lock bag and I really like that where you attach the backing plate, it's not flat like the normal W7006 or W8006 or W9006.

I think I could give them a try, maybe do a review and post it so members could see

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');