• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black dupont Basecoat clearcoat high solid ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black dupont Basecoat clearcoat high solid ?

i have a black vet with dupont 2 stage high solids .? what is the high solids ? is the clear hard or soft ? or how do i tell? what to start with product 83 or 80 . has some light scratches.

Re: Black dupont Basecoat clearcoat high solid ?

I've been told these are high solids paints,

In the big picture, that kind of information becomes useless when you go out into your garage and work on your car. all that matters is you, your product choice and your technique. Generally speaking and as has been posted on this forum numerous times, the clear coat paint on newer Corvettes is usually hard as nails.

What you want to do is map out a section on the hood of your car about a foot squared and only work on this section until you dial-in a process that produces the results you want to see over the entire car and after you can do this, then simply duplicate this over the entire car.

Simple Simon.

Meguiar's always teaches people to start with the least aggressive product to get the job done, in your case this would be the M80 Speed Glaze, if this doesn't work the try the M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

If you find the M83 is required, then you'll likely have to follow this with the M80 to remove any residual hazing. Then apply a couple coats of a wax of your choice. When you do the cleaning steps, you'll work section by section, the harder the paint the smaller the section. When it comes to the waxing step you can tackle entire panels at a time because at this point you're not trying to remove defects, i.e. remove paint, you're merely trying to spread out a coating of wax.

Follow the directions in the link below and set aside an entire day to do the entire car.

Good luck!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by jonszr1 View Post
      ... what is the high solids ? ...
      Mike’s certainly right. The paint is already there so what matters is how it behaves on the car in the here and now. But since you asked...

We usually think of paint as a mixture of the stuff that stays on the car, like resins, pigments and a bunch of additives sloshing around in the can with a solvent carrier that evaporates off after you apply the paint. That stuff that stays behind as a hard film are the solids.

In the old days paints that were easy to spray contained a very high percentage of solvents. As the industrial world became more concerned with reducing pollution and protecting the environment laws were enacted that required lower emissions of solvents and less generation of waste. So the industry developed new coatings with lower percentages of solvents. Those are called high solids paints. Spray equipment with less overspray and waste (higher transfer efficiency) like HVLP guns are also required nowadays.

Here’s an article on the subject.

PC.

Comment

Thanks Paul, you da man!

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

^^ that guy knows everything.
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

No, no, no. I’m trying to learn nothing about everything.

So far I’ve only succeeded in learning very little about a lot.

PC.

Comment

Mike and guys thanx alot . i have been wanting to use the wonderfull pc i won in the dec drawing. side bar (it was my only xmas present) . its a little scary my first car being my black zr1. I have been unhappy with the paint job ever since it was done 2 yrs ago . heck they didn't even color sand the bottem 1/2 of the car. it looks like a sick orange with acne. the top is pretty flat. 2 different painters have said the clear is soft. saying that because it was painted in dec in cold country that they may have mixed it wrong. i will try buffing the top and see what happens. also how does one sign up for one of your sat classes. Or since I am a golf pro anyone want a free golf weekend in lone pine Ca with free lessons in trade. I would even foot the bill for your motel and gas to learn how to do it right. jonszr1@myway.com. thanx again for all your guys help. this forum is great. brad

Comment

... how does one sign up for one of your sat classes. ...
                First, find yourself a class. It can either be an open class or a class that has been declared open because there were extra spaces after all of the club’s members signed up.

Here’s one that’s ideal: Open Class - January 27th

Then post a reply to the thread with something like “please sign me up.”

That’s it. Mike will add your name to the list and you’re in.

PC.

Comment

Or since I am a golf pro anyone want a free golf weekend in lone pine Ca with free lessons in trade. I would even foot the bill for your motel and gas to learn how to do it right. jonszr1@myway.com.

thanx again for all your guys help. this forum is great.

brad

Mapquest says

4 hours, 20 minutes Total Est. Distance: 232.83 miles

That's nothing... we've had people drive in from St. George Utah!

Come on down to this Saturday's class, we guarantee you learn how to take work on your car the right way plus you'll have fun and the pizza's pretty good too!

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ok ,sign me up I can hardly wait to learn how to do it right. what do i need to bring. ps how do i get there and what time does it start? and thank you so much for thinkingof me . see you there

Comment

Hi Jon,

Glad to here you'll be attending. Here's the info

Date: January 27th, 2007
                      Time: 8:00am to 3pm

Place: Meguiar's Inc
                      17991 Mitchell South
                      Irvine, CA 92614
                      Mapquest Driving Directions

Requirements

IMPORTANT: If you plan on attending the detailing class for the you must be a registered member of Meguiar's Online Discussion Forum.
                      Click here to Register to become a member of Meguiar's Online!

Already a member?
                      Click here to sign-up for this class now!

Never joined a discussion forum before? Click Here to go to a step-by-step tutorial on how to register with to become a member of Meguiar's Online! (It's easy! )

Classes Size Limitations: 30 People - This is due to limited space in the classroom. If this class is not full by the Monday prior to the event non-club members will be allowed to sign up and attend.

It is important that we have an accurate head count to order pizza, refreshments, and Meguiar's gift bags. Only attendees that have signed up will receive a Meguiar's gift bag with Meguiar's products, samples and catalogs.

Your are encouraged to check your e-mail and the sign-up list the evening and/or morning prior to the event for any notifications or cancellations. We have only canceled one class in our history and it was due to an emergency.

Schedule:
                      • 8:00 am to 8:30 am Coffee and pastries served.
                      • 8:30 am to 11:00 am - In-depth presentation covering the history of Meguiar's, Consumer and Professional Product Lines and the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle .
                      • 11:00 am to 11:30 am - Question & Answer time.
                      • 11:30 am to 12:00 noon - Surface evaluation of attendees cars to discuss the owners current car care program.
                      • 12:00 noon to 12:30 pm - Lunch - Awesome Pizza and Cold Refreshments will be provided.
                      • 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm - Product demonstrations with a focus on using proper technique for applying products by hand and with the G-100 Dual Action Polisher.
                      • 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Open Garage for testing and trying out Meguiar's products on attendees cars with instruction and guidance from Meguiar's Training Instructors.
                      The afternoon portion of the event is a hands-on experience and attendees are encouraged to put on a Meguiar's smock and get involved. Learning is best done by participating, not watching from the sidelines.

Learning how to remove scratches by hand from a clear coat finish

Leaning proper technique for using the G-100

Pictures of the event will be posted to Meguiar's Online Discussion Forum under Detail Days at Meguiar's.

For more information, please contact Mike Phillips
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');