• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I doing wrong? (PIC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've possibly not had a pad in my collection long enough for delamination to become an issue - most of my pads with the exception of finishing pads which I only ever use up to speed 4 or 5 anyway I discard after around ten uses, generally as a matter of principle but also I use a lot of Menzerna products as well as Megs, and the Power Gloss Compound is a bit of a pad killer... Also, after single stage cars like the red Starlett, I discard the pads because although they can clean up I just wouldn't risk taking them to another car incase they weren't 110% clean if you know what I mean - better safe than sorry! And pads are cheap.

All of my techniques and methods are very "what works best for me"... I understand the concerns with working a product till it starts to dust and with Meguiars polishes I accept that this isn't recommended, although I still do it simply as that is what works best for me - the pad never dries, it always remains damp and with #83 is literally is when the polish starts to dust, not ages after its dusting... But with Menzerna, Poorboys, Optimum these will dry very quickly, and I would only ever get one or two passes befor they were dusting - indeed I work Menzerna until its almost dry, though I also tend to use the slow-cut method with the Menz as well. This may well sound very dangerous, but its how I (and many other Menz users) find the polishes work at their best.

Horses for courses, as they say!

And my neighbour wasn't all that amused with the pad, but she soon relaised the beauty of NXT Glass Cleaner!
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Comment

O.k. so basically what I need to try is just apply more pressure and maybe work the product a little slower and longer so that the diminishing abrasives work their way out/down. Does that sound about right?

Based on the fact the clear is hard on the Corvettes, I am pretty sure I haven't been working it long enough.

I also just placed my order for Mike's DVD on using the PC for Showcar results. I would imagine my technique is mostly at fault here. Reading is one thing, seeing someone do it is another.

Thanks.
      Last edited by SkeeterJD; Jun 21, 2006, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I started this thread about DACP...

I found that I wasn't working it nearly as long as I should and when I finally did it right, the results were much much better.

Of course, if the Vette paint is too hard for even #83 and a PC, you might have to move up to a Rotary to be able to get the results you are looking for.
        -Brian
        2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterJD
          O.k. so basically what I need to try is just apply more pressure and maybe work the product a little slower and longer so that the diminishing abrasives work their way out/down. Does that sound about right?

Based on the fact the clear is hard on the Corvettes, I am pretty sure I haven't been working it long enough.

I also just placed my order for Mike's DVD on using the PC for Showcar results. I would imagine my technique is mostly at fault here. Reading is one thing, seeing someone do it is another.

Thanks.
          Make sure you're letting the diminishing abrasives break down and you're not buffing to a dry buff. That DVD is very good btw.
          And from the picture that looks like micro marring.
          Last edited by F-150; Jun 21, 2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

The more that I research it, the more it appears that it is micro-marring. I guess I am a little surprised that although I was apparently doing it wrong (won't really know until I try it tonight), I would still induce micro-marring by A) not using enough pressure and B) not working it long enough.

From what RedSoxRacer said, (working a section from 3-5 minutes), I know that I am not working it that long. I would guess 30-45 seconds at the most.

How much pressure should I apply with the #7 Showcar Glaze?

Thanks for all the responses, I will try it tonight and let you guys know how I come out.

Comment

Check out my thread: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...threadid=12841

Alex
              Mandarina Racing

Comment

From what RedSoxRacer said, (working a section from 3-5 minutes), I know that I am not working it that long. I would guess 30-45 seconds at the most.

You will not always need to work it 3-5 minutes like I did in those instances, there are a lot of factors that play into it. On some of my other cars and under other conditions, #83 will fully break down in 1.5- 2 minutes. Heat, humidity, and the paint all need to be considered, but you will learn as you go...but from the sounds of it, you were not working it until it fully broke down.
                Good luck!
                Last edited by RedSoxRacer; Jun 21, 2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Wow! What a difference!

I first want to thank everyone that helped me through this. It's coming up on the one year anniversary since I got my G-100 and I never knew that I was doing it so wrong. I've read a lot of the write-ups by Mike and others, but never really deconstructed my methods to find out what I was doing wrong. Apparently it was a lot! The biggest lesson learned; pressure and working the product are your friends!

Here's the skinny:

I induced what appears to be some severe micro-marring in this photo. I worked the right side with #83, #80, #7, #26

NASTY!

Tonight I re-evaluated my plan of attack and with some wise words I really let myself work the #83 in. It took me about 3 good passes with the #83, but got the gloss back without even using the #7. The white specs are little dust particles from the #83.

Looks a lot better!

I just wish that my camera could capture how glossy it looks now. I mean...what a difference!

Here's a shot of (going from left to right) what I started with, what I did yesterday , and what I did tonight .

Again, not a great shot, but hopefully you get the idea what happened. It's not perfect, but far better than the other two. And with more practice and now a better understanding of what I need to do.....look out!

Thanks again for all the helpful threads people gave me to read and all the great advise.

Scott

Comment

Glad to see its working out better now for you. If the paint really is as hard as Mike and others say, you might never get as good of results with the PC as you want. Technique is everything with a lot of Meguiars products.
                    -Brian
                    2007 Obsidian Black IS350

Comment

Hard paint seems to be a trend.....

I had some very unsatisfying results with #83 yesterday on a Green F150 Supercrew ('05).

I tried everything I have learned, plus ......

I ended up uisng #66 on the whole truck because there was little difference in results between the two products. I also gave the guy a deal on $$$$, becuase I have a hard time charging when I can't meet my own expectations.

There is a lot of good info here, and your before and after show what tools, technique, advice, and patience can do....

Nice work......

Bullet1's Thread

This was an awesome thread.

Comment

Re: Wow! What a difference!

I first want to thank everyone that helped me through this. It's coming up on the one year anniversary since I got my G-100 and I never knew that I was doing it so wrong. I've read a lot of the write-ups by Mike and others, but never really deconstructed my methods to find out what I was doing wrong. Apparently it was a lot! The biggest lesson learned; pressure and working the product are your friends!

Here's the skinny:

I induced what appears to be some severe micro-marring in this photo. I worked the right side with #83, #80, #7, #26

NASTY!

Tonight I re-evaluated my plan of attack and with some wise words I really let myself work the #83 in. It took me about 3 good passes with the #83, but got the gloss back without even using the #7. The white specs are little dust particles from the #83.

Looks a lot better!

I just wish that my camera could capture how glossy it looks now. I mean...what a difference!

Here's a shot of (going from left to right) what I started with, what I did yesterday , and what I did tonight .

Again, not a great shot, but hopefully you get the idea what happened. It's not perfect, but far better than the other two. And with more practice and now a better understanding of what I need to do.....look out!

Thanks again for all the helpful threads people gave me to read and all the great advise.

Scott
                        That's awesome that your problem's solved. So you all you needed was a little pressure and to work it in longer.

Comment

Re: Re: Wow! What a difference!

Originally posted by F-150
                          That's awesome that your problem's solved. So you all you needed was a little pressure and to work it in longer.
                          That was all I needed. Part of me was always a little worried working the product for so long. I was afraid of going to a dry buff and really screwing up. In the past I always had a bear of a time removing #80 and #83, but after you work it in for awhile it's more like a kitten instead of a bear. The #83 can still kick my butt sometimes, but it is a lot better now; and the #80 is a walk in the park. "I think" that you can actually see the product breaking down, which I thought was cool. I just starts to get real glossy and then you know to shut down and wipe it off. I can't wait to do some more.

I really wish that I had cleaned all the little white specks off, I was just so excited that I quickly grabbed my camera. It really does look great.

Comment

A little off topic but don't corvettes had hard clear coats? The newer ones anyway? Which might be another reason why you needed to apply more pressure with #83 and work it in longer than you thought?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');