• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this be the equivelent of extracting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be the equivelent of extracting?

Alright so I had this idea after one of my genius buddies ground some dirt in to what was a very nice, ok I'd even say perfect factory floor mat. And granted I'm sure I could clean it just as well with a brush and vaccum, but the prefered method of getting deep down dirt seems to be an extractor, which I really can't justify spending $500+ on.

So here's the thought (and I obviously would only do this with floor mats). Take the mat out, vaccum it well, then spray down with hot water, spray come APC on it, brush thoroughly, hot water rinse again then vaccum nice and slowly to remove as much water as possible. Would this be a bad idea? My few year old floor mat on my side is beginning to look decently worn so I'm betting there is some dirt deeper down I haven't been getting to.

Thanks for any input.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

No need to wet the mats first just spray APC 1:10 on the mats and let soak for 10-15 minutes and then rinse.

Also APC is extremely useful in cleaning carpets and gives them back a nice luster.
    "Washing for the People"

Comment

Hey Rick,

I agree with the above, but I use the APC at 6:1 (6 parts water, 1 part APC).

Using an extractor still is better, but a strong Shop Vac etc, after thoroughly scrubbing the mats, works very well!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

An extractor has a 100-ich wg lift (vacuum suction) and heats water to 200oF+

To hand clean carpet and upholstery:
        Cleaning interiors by hand is a time-consuming process.
        Methodology
        ·Vacuum area very thoroughly to remove any loose dirt, grit and etc
        ·Remove any stains with a ‘spot’ remover
        ·Use a distilled hot water/ pre-cleaner solution, let solution dwell for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
        ·Brush into surface to create foam, the foam will dissolve and suspend soils.
        ·Blotting and wiping using terry cloth towels now can remove the cleaning liquid.
        ·Brush the carpet to raise the nap and loosen ground in dirt
        ·Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, grime and any loose dirt from the carpet
        ·Allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use

JonM
        ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

OOOOOPS!

Always make sure that you rinse it well. I use the exact same method and it always works like a charm!!!!
          JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

I know a profesional extractor is best but how about those portable Bissell carpet cleaners like the Little Green and similar devices? It heats up the water but likely not to 200F (consumer products can't risk burning someone).

Comment

That's a good price!
              "Washing for the People"

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT
                An extractor has a 100-ich wg lift (vacuum suction) and heats water to 200oF+

To hand clean carpet and upholstery:
                Cleaning interiors by hand is a time-consuming process.
                Methodology
                ·Vacuum area very thoroughly to remove any loose dirt, grit and etc
                ·Remove any stains with a ‘spot’ remover
                ·Use a distilled hot water/ pre-cleaner solution, let solution dwell for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
                ·Brush into surface to create foam, the foam will dissolve and suspend soils.
                ·Blotting and wiping using terry cloth towels now can remove the cleaning liquid.
                ·Brush the carpet to raise the nap and loosen ground in dirt
                ·Using the vacuum, remove the excess moisture, grime and any loose dirt from the carpet
                ·Allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use

JonM
                Can you explain what you mean a liitle more by using a distilled hot water solution? Only way I know how to get distilled water is buy it at the store?
                "Washing for the People"

Comment

Dear Buellwinkle

If you are willing to spend $1,200 on a 200F heated carpet exractor with 3 stage vacs = 110 inches of water lift and 4 gallon solution and revovery tanks I would go with a Chem Buck 2. It has fiberglass body and steel motot so It will last a long time! Send me a email if you are interasted and I can givee you the number
                  JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');