• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor

I am going to strip the inside of my truck to give it a one time detail cleaning including the carpet.So I have 2 questions.
    I read somwhere someone had done this and they use a pressure washer on the carpet.
    Should I use a pressure washer on the carpet when it is out of the truck?
    Should I put something on the floor to help to protect it before I put it back together?

Any advice would be appericated.

Thanks
    1996 Ford Ranger 2wd reg cab 2.3 with a 5spd.

1997 Gmc Jimmy 4wd 4dr 4.3 with a auto.

Re: Floor

Originally posted by mmguy View Post
    I am going to strip the inside of my truck to give it a one time detail cleaning including the carpet.So I have 2 questions.
    I read somwhere someone had done this and they use a pressure washer on the carpet.
    Should I use a pressure washer on the carpet when it is out of the truck?
    Should I put something on the floor to help to protect it before I put it back together?

Any advice would be appericated.

Thanks
    Great idea on stripping the truck to down to give it the ultimate detail. Sometimes its just necessary. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not use the pressure washer with the carpets inside the truck !!

here is a perfect example of what can happen !

Start a New Thread or Discuss proper care for all interior surfaces including leather, vinyl, rubber, colored plastics, carpets, upholstery, and glass.

just take everything out and clean them outside of the car.
    Addicted

Comment

I was most definilty going to make sure carpert was out first.The inside is not to bad but it is a 1996 and I do have some time to do this right now(1 of the thousands unemployed).

Thanks.
      1996 Ford Ranger 2wd reg cab 2.3 with a 5spd.

1997 Gmc Jimmy 4wd 4dr 4.3 with a auto.

Comment

Originally posted by mmguy View Post
        I was most definilty going to make sure carpert was out first.The inside is not to bad but it is a 1996 and I do have some time to do this right now(1 of the thousands unemployed).

Thanks.
        lol ! i feel ya on that one..take some pictures if u can !!
        Addicted

Comment

I dont think I would power wash the carpet unless it was really nasty. I would be afraid of damaging the carpet with exsessive pressure. My car mats I just use a garden hose, simple green, and a soft brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg W View Post
            I dont think I would power wash the carpet unless it was really nasty. I would be afraid of damaging the carpet with exsessive pressure. My car mats I just use a garden hose, simple green, and a soft brush.
            I agree. You should be able to get enough pressure from your garden hose and a good nozzle. I used this method plus Meg's APC and a carpet brush and let it dry. The carpet came out great.

Mike
            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

A brush and a cleaner will do a better job overall IMO anyways vs. just blasting the heck out of it.

Comment

But blasting the heck out of it can yield results:

to this:

to this!

Those were done with a dewault 3700 PSI pressure washer with a 25 degree tip. Sure beats the hell out of my LGM and APC
                www.idetailautopros.com
                iDetail Professional Automotive Detailing

Comment

What's that on them in the second picture? I'm saying that vs. just spraying them down with some water. Water won't clean by itself.

Comment

Seeing as those were my early days of detailing it would have either been Tuff Stuff or Harmitall's carpet foam. Yeah just spraying them down with water doesn't do much at all.
                    www.idetailautopros.com
                    iDetail Professional Automotive Detailing

Comment

That would be the ultimate way to do a complete interior detail. Good luck with it. Make sure you get a lot of pics. You know we will be waiting for your writeup.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

How did you get on? Did you end up using the pressure washer for the carpets? I did exactly that last week and boy was it worth it. I had the carpet out in less than 30mins (thats with the seats bolted back in after) and spent about the same to put it back in. Probably spent around 2hrs actually cleaning the carpet. I must put some pics up.

2 weeks earlier I had gone over the carpets and seats with a rug doctor with average results. So I thought I'd do this. This is how I did it;

1. Remove
                        2. Vacuum
                        3. Spray liberally with APC 10:1
                        4. Let sit for 30mins
                        5. Pressure wash several times til foaming was nearly gone
                        6. Wet vac all the water up
                        7. Then I repeated steps 5 & 6 til all the APC was gone
                        8. Got as dry as I could with the vac and then let it sit overnight
                        9. Reinstall!

Sounds like alot of work but apart from a couple of stubborn stains that wont come out (under the floor mats thankfully) the carpet looks brand spanking! It literally went from light brown to grey. Well worth the effort.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');