• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metro vac purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro vac purchase

Thinking of adding this to my arsenal or detailing products ...
    Shop vacs just don't have enough lift to remove sand from carpet fibers (DEEP DOWN)
    Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner Company - Unmatched performance coupled with world class engineering, culminating in one powerful machine that hums like a ... vacuum! And not just youre ordinary run-of-the-mill vacuum. These Metro vacs are the worlds ...

(It has a 95'' of water lift that is the primary term used to measure suction)
    Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
    ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
    (269)650-2242

Re: Metro vac purchase

Looks good!
    Don't forget to do a write up on it!

Comment

so what type of suction does a rigid 6 hp have?? That seems like alot of lift from a 4 hpr max...I do envy it though, its nice and small..
      Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's detailing View Post
        Thinking of adding this to my arsenal or detailing products ...
        Shop vacs just don't have enough lift to remove sand from carpet fibers (DEEP DOWN)
        Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner Company - Unmatched performance coupled with world class engineering, culminating in one powerful machine that hums like a ... vacuum! And not just youre ordinary run-of-the-mill vacuum. These Metro vacs are the worlds ...

(It has a 95'' of water lift that is the primary term used to measure suction)
        Since I've had one of these for 5+ years, I thought I would throw out a few comments.

*The suction is unbelievable. It will lift the carpeted mats right off the floor. I'm no vacuum expert, but I think the smaller hose helps. My larger 5 hp vacuums have larger hoses and the overall suction might be as great or even more, but with the Metro, the suction is in a concentrated area.

*It is not quiet, but 4 peak hp probably shouldn't be expected to be quiet. It is not excessively noisy, but having it in the vehicle with you will make it more noticeable.

*The small size is very handy. you can just put it in the vehicle you are working on for easy access.

*The small size means the bag needs to be emptied fairly often. No big deal, but a nuisance. Mine came with a cloth bag and I purchased an extra so I can change and keep working. It will do several vehicles, but my larger vac will probably do a hundred before it needs to be emptied.

*I purchased the roll around dolly which was a three wheel unit at the time. The stability was about like a tricycle and I don't care for it at all. That might be why the dollies now have 4 wheels.

*It is not a "wet" vac and is intended only for dry pickup.

*The quality doesn't look all that great when you look inside the vac, but it's still working fine after 5+ years. Small thing, but the paint is not flaking off the steel body even though it has had some abuse.

*Mine was a gift and since they are a little pricey, I doubt that I would pay the price. Hey, maybe I'm a cheap skate, but a good 5 hp to 6.5 hp wet/dry vac is about 60% of the cost.
        Charles
        The Rainmaker

Comment

Thanks for the info Charles. I'm just wondering how it would compare to one of those 6.5hp wet/dry units? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...411&lpage=none

I have a 3hp unit and the suction is mediocre (at best). In fact, my wife's Dyson offers much better suction than my wet/dry.

Let us know how it goes with this unit.
          ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
            Thanks for the info Charles. I'm just wondering how it would compare to one of those 6.5hp wet/dry units? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...411&lpage=none

I have a 3hp unit and the suction is mediocre (at best). In fact, my wife's Dyson offers much better suction than my wet/dry.

Let us know how it goes with this unit.
            The vacuum you linked to seems to definitely be geared towards professional use.
            IMO, it would be a better all round unit for an only vacuum.
            The large dirt capacity has not been necessary for me as a hobby detailer. My 12 gallon tank probably could go years without being emptied.
            My 4 gallon might even go that long.
            For detailing, suction/pick-up power seems much more important than tank capacity. For woodworking or construction, that might not be true.
            One thing I really like about my 5 hp, 12 gal. is the stability of it. It is short and squatty and can be pulled around by the hose with out worrying about tipping it over.
            Last edited by CharlesW; May 17, 2009, 11:47 AM.
            Charles
            The Rainmaker

Comment

Thanks for the report Charles, it's been noted ..
              I just need to figure out if it's worth the asking price....
              Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
              ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
              (269)650-2242

Comment

I just recently upgraded to a rigid 6.0 hp. I had a 2.5hp. The difference is tremendous. The suction power is fantastic. I really like this unit a lot. It was half the price as the metro.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have been using a Metro blower and it works great!
                  "Forza Kimi"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');