• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interior Dressing Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Dressing Comparison

Alright, I'm pretty tired of everyone asking, "Which interior dressing should I use" or "which one has the highest gloss?" So I decided to do a test.

Here is what I used to do this test:
    -Yamaha alto sax case - I've played this beloved instrument for 8 years and it needs a dressing every now and then to hide some of the usual skuffs.

-#40 - current MOL favorite
    - Natural Shine - nice for light surfaces
    -Endurance High Gloss - I've heard of people using this on some dark exterior pieces to get a really big shine.

The pictures were VERY hard to get since I am trying to actually showcase the shine and the camera is trying to eliminate the shine! Please don't harp on me for that.

I spent over an hour applying the dressings and taking pics. I don't have many products, but I have a few of the most common. Seeing as there is not a single Meguiar's dealer in Indiana, even getting some of the really common Pro stuff is impossible. If you want to see other products used, feel free to try it yourself and post the results with pics.

Here is the case to start with:

I taped out the case into three sections with the right side dressed with #40, middle dressed with Endurance High Gloss, and the left side dressed with Natural Shine.

Here is case with just Endurance applied

Here are the rest of the coatings:

Endurance High Gloss

And finally, Natural Shine

Here are some other pics comparing all three viewed together. Remember, from right to left, the order goes #40, Endurance High Gloss, and Natural Shine.

I'll let you make your own decisions based on these pics. It was a challenge to show the color change and gloss.

IMO, the Endurance High Gloss looks really greasy, but if you like the really shiny look, it's not bad. The Natural Shine looks pretty good. If you look in the pictures, you can see that it darkened the vinyl. It has a pretty good gloss, but it is a little too much for me. #40 gives a slight gloss. It is just right for some of those dark pieces. If you can see it in the pictures, #40 managed to clean off some of the marks. This is my favorite.

I appologize for being harsh at the beginning, but my dad has been in the hospital for a while and I'm just trying to be with my dad and family. School and everything else takes a back seat.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: Interior Dressing Comparison

Sorry to hear the news about your dad. I can relate, lost mine a couple years ago.

Liked your write up by the way.

Comment

Thank you! Thank you! I've been meaning to do that for way too long. I'm sure that it would depend some on surface material. But this gives a great guide. I'm a big fan of the Natural Shine. My friend swears by her #40. So you think that the #40 has more of a matte look than the Natural Shine? If so I'll have to borrow her #40. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up and the photos.

Really sorry to hear about your dad. That's just too young. I noticed your sig line, that's cool that you two could share a passion for Porsche's and Meguiar's.
      Scott

Comment

I tried to make this as fair as possible. The vinyl material is very similar to a dashboard or hard door panel surface. The most important factor in choosing a dressing is to determine the color of the material. If it is a light color, then Natural Shine is really nice. If it is a dark color, then #40 is the best. Besides, O'reilly now sells #40 - it's expensive, but cheaper than ordering.

I wrote this letter to Sneek, but I felt that the others who replied should hear this too.

"Thanks for the responses.

I'm just trying to get through this tough period. My whole family is in shock over his death; it just seems unreal.

The very last thing to do is to get one of my friends to help me perfect shifting a manual transmission so I can drive our 911 around the neighborhood. My dad always promised he would teach me one day and I feel obligated to take care of his pride and joy.

MOL has truly become a true family With all the help given in the past, I can not complain about a single thing. I can not express my gratitude for people like you guys who care about others in a troubling time.

Well, I've gotta go help plan the funeral and work out some other stuff."

Thanks for your sympathy and kindness,
        Chris Dasher - PorscheGuy997
        Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

That was a great comparison on the products - thank you for taking the time to do that, and for the information on the color of the material making a difference as well!

I too am so sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I think that's wonderful that you want to honor your dad by perfecting a manual transmission, in order to drive and care for his pride and joy. I'm sure that you will be driving it with no problem in no time at all. =) I wish you and your family comfort and peace during this very difficult time.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post

I'm just trying to get through this tough period. My whole family is in shock over his death; it just seems unreal.

Chris Dasher - PorscheGuy997
            I'm really sorry to hear that Chris, please accept my deepest condolences. Nice write up by the way.
            SYDSTER

Comment

Really good test. Thanks for the pics, very helpful.

Comment

Very sorry to hear of your dad's passing. My families thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours at this time. You sound like a very good son to keep your dad's promises to honor his legacy.

Nice write up about the protectorants. Thanks for doing the comparisons. Very nicely done.

Once again our condolences go out to you and your family.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');