• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing of Interior Wood Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing of Interior Wood Trim

I was wondering what people are using to clean and protect interior wood trim. I know that some trim pieces are imitation wood (usually plastic), so I would expect a plastic polish would work here. But what about real wood trim? How does one care for this material?

Any insight into this would be appreciated because I do not recall seeing this topic come up too often.

I'm not sure, but i think some people use Final Inspection to clean interior wood trim.

Comment

Good question!

My personal opinion is to treat imitation wood like plastic (as it is plastic) but, I wouldn't utilize ANYTHING that is abrasive on it. Reaon being is that most all of the wood interior kits (the plastic ones) are laminate plastic. By that, I mean they put a 'sticker', of sorts, over a molded plastic piece that is fit for the dash piece or trim item. Basically, it's then 'shrink-wrapped' to the plastic piece. Utilizing an abrasive polish could work through that laminate and ruin the dash/trim piece.

As far as real wood is concerned, I'm not exactly sure. I will make an effort to go over and bother our neighbor at work as he has a VERY old Jag that has a REAL WOOD interior. That car is his PRIDE AND JOY and I think he'll have a good answer. It'll give me a chance to drop my name in the hat to detail it next time for him too!

RP
      -The Final Detail-
      Lagrange, Kentucky
      thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
      CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

---> MOVED TO INTERIOR CARE FROM DETAILING 101 <---

-RP
        -The Final Detail-
        Lagrange, Kentucky
        thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
        CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Meguiars makes some great wood polishes too...Check out the furniture forum.
          r. b.

Comment

I read somewhere, maybe here in the forum, that the wood on BMW is sealed with some type of plastic (polyurethane?) for protection and the poster used NXT with great success. I gave this a try on my wife's car and, low and behold, it did a beautiful, job on it. It seemed to deepen the richness of the wood. If you've got plastic or a platic coating, you might give it a try.
            TwoTooBlack

Because one black car just wasn't enough . . .

Comment

Yes, I think most modern wood interiors have some kind of urethane clear on them. I've used wood waxes on mine, and I do the more frequent cleaning with Final Detail. It works great on fingerprints and such, and brings out a nice natural gloss. I imagine things like NXT would work fine, though, provided the wood is coated. I've just never tried it.
              1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
              2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
              1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');