• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use on "leatherette"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use on "leatherette"

I have a 2001 Audi A4 with "leatherette" interior. I'm not sure exactly what is made from. I have heard that it is either a high-grade vinyl or it is a combination of leather and vinyl, with the leather being used in the high wear areas and the vinyl on the rest of the seat.

Which product(s) should I use? I'm not interested in quick but rather using the best product(s) for the vehicle.

Hi VWAUDI,

You know, I don't have a good answer for you. But I can check into it and find out.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'll let Mike follow up with you but, most likely, you have both leather and pleather portions on your seats. In short, the areas at which skin would touch the seating surfaces (i.e. back, bottom, and bolsters) are most likely heavily 'processed' leathers. The sides, back, and headrests, most likely, are vinyl.

I don't know this for sure as I've never worked on an Audi but, the majority of automobile manufacturers utilize this practice.

RP
      -The Final Detail-
      Lagrange, Kentucky
      thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
      CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

VWAudi

You have a PM
        my product collection-- New !
        My Detailing Credo
        Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Any word on this? I am interested as well.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I wonder if the leather wipes would work -- can't think of why it would hurt the seats.

Comment

Vinyl-topped (Corinthian) leather: Some leather being used in domestic automobiles has a top veneer of vinyl. This should be considered a vinyl interior and treated with a vinyl dressing.

Do not use a leather conditioner on vinyl-topped leather; the conditioning oils cannot penetrate the vinyl coating to reach the leather. Clean and condition only the leather surfaces. If you're not sure if your car's leather is vinyl coated, check with your car dealer or the manufacturer.

Identifying characteristics- this is a man-made fabric of plastic and cloth. You can identify vinyl by its highly uniform grain pattern; the surface will have a slick feel to it. The backside of the vinyl is lined with a cloth/fabric backing. If you have any cracks or cuts, you can see the fabric backing (usually white in colour).

~Hope this helps~
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');