• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    When using any of our headlight restoration products be sure to read & follow the directions on the product packaging, and use this article for a reference.

    If you have new lights or are using a different method to restore them, Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating can be used to protect them, and provides protection for 1 year(*Lab tested per ASTM G154-12a).

    For the pictures below we used Keep Clear Headlight Coating on our company 2017 Ford Transit 150.

    It is recommended for best results to apply in the shade to a cool surface. Next, use a glass cleaner like Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner to thoroughly clean any dirt & grime from the headlights.

    Here are the BEFORE pictures of the lights.





    Since the product is an aerosol application, it is recommended to protect the surrounding surfaces of the headlight to prevent over-spray. If any over-spray were to get on a surrounding surface, it is recommended to wipe off immediately, since it can become stubborn to remove if left to dry.

    Although not an automotive specific product, 3M's ScotchBlue Pre-taped painters plastic works well for protecting surrounding surfaces.





    Headlight is completely clean & dry, surrounding surfaces are protected, and we are in the shade with a cool surface. We are now ready to apply the Keep Clear Headlight Coating. It is recommended to apply 2 medium wet coats to the entire headlight, overlapping your passes by 50%. Let the first coat dry for 3 - 5 minutes, and then follow with a second medium wet coat to completely seal the headlight lens. The coating dries in 3 - 5 minutes and will be fully cured in 24 hours.

    Below are some AFTER pictures of both headlight lenses completely sealed & protected. If you look, the below after pictures don't look all that different from the before! Meguiar's R&D Team has done a great job in getting the coating to completely self level.







    Thanks for checking out the article. Feel free to post any questions or comments.

    When using any of our headlight restoration products be sure to read & follow the directions on the product packaging, and use this article for a reference.
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com


    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

  • #2
    Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

    *bump* new article with overview of Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com


    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

      Originally posted by Nick Winn View Post
      Although not an automotive specific product, 3M's ScotchBlue Pre-taped painters plastic works well for protecting surrounding surfaces.




      THIS is great information! Just what I've needed. Headed to Home Depot now.

      BTW, I've had great success using the Keep Clear Headlight Coating. Gives ME more confidence when returning the customers car to them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

        Originally posted by HCAD View Post
        THIS is great information! Just what I've needed. Headed to Home Depot now.

        BTW, I've had great success using the Keep Clear Headlight Coating. Gives ME more confidence when returning the customers car to them.
        Thanks and we are happy to hear! Feel free to share your work if you would like we would be glad to see.

        Nick
        Nick Winn
        Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
        Meguiar's Inc.
        Irvine, CA
        nawinn@meguiars.com


        CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

          Originally posted by Nick Winn View Post
          Thanks and we are happy to hear! Feel free to share your work if you would like we would be glad to see.

          Nick
          Hi all, so I've used the keep clear product on a few lights i've restored since the start of the year 2018.

          But my question is what does it look like near the end
          Of its service life on a headlight?
          Anyone has pics of that?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

            Originally posted by Condean View Post
            Hi all, so I've used the keep clear product on a few lights i've restored since the start of the year 2018.

            But my question is what does it look like near the end
            Of its service life on a headlight?
            Anyone has pics of that?
            Hi Condean,

            Just noticed your comment. When using Keep Clear Headlight Coating to protect new or like new headlights, there will be no visual indication when the coating has worn off. We suggest re-applying as often as you see fit, and just keep in mind it lasts for around one year.

            Hope this helps.
            Nick Winn
            Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
            Meguiar's Inc.
            Irvine, CA
            nawinn@meguiars.com


            CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

              Originally posted by Nick Winn View Post
              Hi Condean,

              Just noticed your comment. When using Keep Clear Headlight Coating to protect new or like new headlights, there will be no visual indication when the coating has worn off. We suggest re-applying as often as you see fit, and just keep in mind it lasts for around one year.

              Hope this helps.
              This makes no sense at all. How is this product not gonna come off? NO visual indication when the coating has worn off, so basically my headlights are gonna look hazed for the rest of their life thanks to this freaking coating

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                I just did my headlights using the Meguiar's Clear Coating, I'm very pleased.

                You wrote, "We suggest re-applying as often as you see fit, and just keep in mind it lasts for around one year." So if in 9 or 10 months if the headlights still look good - what's the recommended renewal routine? Can I just wash them real good and reapply the Meguiar's Clear Coating or do I need to use Ultimate Compound for extra cleaning first?

                And lastly, can I apply a 2k clear coat over the Meguiar's Clear Coating to make it last longer?

                Thank you for your time and info

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                  You wrote, "We suggest re-applying as often as you see fit, and just keep in mind it lasts for around one year." So if in 9 or 10 months if the headlights still look good - what's the recommended renewal routine? Can I just wash them real good and reapply the Meguiar's Clear Coating or do I need to use Ultimate Compound for extra cleaning first?
                  I wouldnt go to a compound unless the headlight UV coating was already failing. I try to stay gentle while it is still good.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                    Originally posted by GaryODS View Post
                    I just did my headlights using the Meguiar's Clear Coating, I'm very pleased.

                    You wrote, "We suggest re-applying as often as you see fit, and just keep in mind it lasts for around one year." So if in 9 or 10 months if the headlights still look good - what's the recommended renewal routine? Can I just wash them real good and reapply the Meguiar's Clear Coating or do I need to use Ultimate Compound for extra cleaning first?

                    And lastly, can I apply a 2k clear coat over the Meguiar's Clear Coating to make it last longer?

                    Thank you for your time and info
                    We would not suggest using any type of clear coat spray in combination with our Keep Clear Headlight Coating. They will likely not work well together.

                    In regards to re-applying, if the lights look in good shape, there is not special prep work required, just make sure you are working on a clean surface, tape off surrounding paint/trim, and re-apply.

                    If the lights look like they need some prep work, or could benefit from a mild cleaning, our PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish would be our first recommendation.
                    Nick Winn
                    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
                    Meguiar's Inc.
                    Irvine, CA
                    nawinn@meguiars.com


                    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                      Hi I have a friend that's stopping by next week and I'd like to do his headlights. The temp should be in the low 60's but shouldn't be raining here.

                      As the temp is on the low end of the application spec's would it be alright after prepping the lens, to turn the lights on to heat them up a bit? Can the lens coating be applied while the lights are on? While the weather should be cooperating here, on his drive home he could encounter rain or snow over the mountain. What can we do to speed the cure so it's acceptable for him to drive home without ruining the coating?

                      Thanx for your time and suggestions

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                        Originally posted by GaryODS View Post
                        Hi I have a friend that's stopping by next week and I'd like to do his headlights. The temp should be in the low 60's but shouldn't be raining here.

                        As the temp is on the low end of the application spec's would it be alright after prepping the lens, to turn the lights on to heat them up a bit? Can the lens coating be applied while the lights are on? While the weather should be cooperating here, on his drive home he could encounter rain or snow over the mountain. What can we do to speed the cure so it's acceptable for him to drive home without ruining the coating?

                        Thanx for your time and suggestions
                        Hi, we do not have any further recommendations for speeding up the cure process, it just needs dry weather & time. Good Luck! Worst case you would just have to re-apply.
                        Nick Winn
                        Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
                        Meguiar's Inc.
                        Irvine, CA
                        nawinn@meguiars.com


                        CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                          New weather, new questions.

                          So now that the weather has changed, I hope to be cleaning headlights onsite - which means in a parking lot during the day.

                          It recommends application in shade on cool headlights - what's the best practice to avoid/minimize problems when applying in direct bright sunlight? How about 100 F in sunlight?

                          While I have you for a moment, Plastx warns that it shouldn't be used on painted surfaces - which I don't. But when working on headlights with a drill applicator some of the produce gets thrown onto the painted bumper covers and surrounding areas. Is the warning to avoid painted surfaces because of the abraisives or should I be worried enough to stop and wipe up all the little dropplets right away because of the chemical cleaners?

                          Thanx

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                            Gary
                            You could consider a pop up for shade. Make sure you secure it with adequate weights to keep it from falling onto your subject or other vehicles.
                            Here is a link to a TNOG where I did a set of Prius headlights.
                            https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ht-Open-Garage

                            Note the following:
                            1) We used a good flexible masking automotive painters quality tape on the paint. Green 3M Scotch 233+ flexible tape, which adheres well, yet releases cleanly (up to 5 days). Test on inconspicuous spot first. Don't use anything that will pull the paint off or leave sticky residue on paint.
                            2) We masked twice for extra protection and to make sure we did not miss any of the paint, or chrome.
                            3) We then used a third mask that included tape plus paper to protect the surrounding areas from splatter.
                            There is another great automotive body shop product that has masking tape plus plastic that unfolds and covers from 6 to 24 inches.
                            4) Patience was utilized to keep the tools and product off the paint/chrome.
                            5) Tighter spots were done by hand, so as not to overlap spinning tools on tape.
                            5) We ended up opening the hood for better access to the lights.
                            This splattered underside of hood and engine.
                            It would have been better to drape thin film plastic across fenders and not hot, yet cooled engine compartment and under the hood.
                            6) Consider these good supplies in your cost estimates to keep your customers happier.

                            Link to 3M Scotch 233+ https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8716717&rt=rud

                            Link to 3M Masking Guide: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...w-to-guide.pdf

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Using Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating

                              Here is a link to the 3M Pre-Taped Masking Film in use.
                              https://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive.../dp/B01I5L9P9C

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X