• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sore Eyes.............1998 Porsche 996 w/failed headlight lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sore Eyes.............1998 Porsche 996 w/failed headlight lenses

Last week I paid a visit to one of my monthly maintenance accounts. As I approached his front door I noticed an older white Porsche 996 parked with the other vehicles. As I walked around it, I was in awe on how nasty the front headlight lenses looked. I picked up the keys to my customers A8 and proceeded to ask him who owned the Porsche. It was an associates vehicle and I was introduced to him. He was the original owner, who basically had lost interest in the overall appearance since the lights started to fail. I showed him with my power point what I could do to improve his vehicles appearance and safety, he booked an appointment for the next day.

Here are some before shots of the light.....What an eye sore on such a nice vehicle..........

During my Headlight Lens Restoral process, here is the drivers side closeup of the failed coating...

Passenger side all resurfaced and ready for UV coating

UV coating applied

UV coating gets cured by a special UV curing lamp

Final shots after my service was finished.....

Thank you for viewing my work........
    David M. Sylican
    Innovative Detailing
    Headlight Lens Restoral
    Detailing Caddy
    Join us on Facebook

Re: Sore Eyes.............1998 Porsche 996 w/failed headlight lenses

Nice touch with the coating.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

very ncie work

Comment

Nice process and results! I was recently in Tucson and restored my brothers and Moms Lexuss with Ultimate Compound and a 8207 polishing pad and DA polisher. Lens came out crystal clear. What is the difference in your process vs. UC and a DA polisher?
        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Great work. Lights look good as new.
          Tedrow's Detailing
          845-642-1698
          Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Great work. It appears that new lenses were installed. They look great.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great work. It's amazing how something like that can make such a difference.
              http://www.facebook.com/SuperiorDetails
              http://www.superiordetails.time2detail.com/

Comment

Great work! Looks brand new!

What's the UV coating that you used and where can I get them?
                2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Nice!

So what's your general process? Wetsand / polish / protect?
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

beautiful job done! and IMO that's one of the best looking headlight designs in the era.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post

x2 I want to know what the coating is also. Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Nice touch with the coating.
                        Thank you, and a long lasting one it will be...

Originally posted by aris View Post
                        very ncie work
                        Thank you

Originally posted by SVT Lightning View Post
                        Nice process and results! I was recently in Tucson and restored my brothers and Moms Lexuss with Ultimate Compound and a 8207 polishing pad and DA polisher. Lens came out crystal clear. What is the difference in your process vs. UC and a DA polisher?
                        Thank you for the good words....Both of the processes will leave the lenses clear, although the conventional method of scuffing and buffing is not a long term solution. Once you have resurfaced the lens and removed the sacrificial coating, you have now exposed the polycarbonate to the direct elements. Sure waxes and sealant will protect your polished lens, but after awhile this protection wears away. This exposes your bare unsealed polycarbonate lenses to all the elements which are then susceptible to turning yellow again, brittle and cracking. With this system, you resurface the lens, removing the failed coating, wipe clean of grease or wax (no polishing required) and then reapply the sacrificial coating. Once you have given the lights 2 wet coats, you then follow up with a special UV curing lamp for amazing results.

Originally posted by Shawn T. View Post
                        Great work. Lights look good as new.
                        Thank you very much, customer thought so and saved a small fortune vs replacing.

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                        Great work. It appears that new lenses were installed. They look great.
                        Thanks J.A. as always for your kind words

Originally posted by sconrad308 View Post
                        Great work. It's amazing how something like that can make such a difference.
                        Thanks, kinda like Lasik for your cars eyes!

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post

Much appreciated! This is not one of those DIY products, its more intended for the professional trade. It retails for about $40.00 per can, and you MUST use the UV curing lamp, those run about $249.00.

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                        Nice!

So what's your general process? Wetsand / polish / protect?
                        Thank you, this is my process......

resurface using pneumatic tools and 3" Unigrit discs and interface pad for contouring.

* PREP ALL AREAS THOROUGHLY TO INCLUDE PLENTY OF BLUE TAPE TO PROTECT ANY SURFACES AROUND THE HEADLIGHT LENS FROM DAMAGE FROM RESURFACING!! COVER UP ALL EXPOSED PAINTWORK AROUND THE LIGHTS WITH PAINTERS PAPER TO PROTECT FROM COATING OVERSPRAY!!
                        * Resurfacing grit stages - 320>500>800>1000>3000 (320 required on Porsche lenses, coating is tough as nails)
                        * Wipe with wax and grease remover
                        * Spray SEM coating, 2 coats allowing 2 minutes between passes
                        * UV Curing lamp 5 minutes after UV coating has set, then heat with UV curing lamp for 4 minutes
                        * Lightly touch headlight lens to confirm that is has cured, remove paper and blue tape. Wipe adjacent areas off with Quick Detailer and MF for the best final results.....

Originally posted by the_mighty_bucket View Post
                        beautiful job done! and IMO that's one of the best looking headlight designs in the era.
                        Thank you,I couldn't agree with you more!

Originally posted by DetailFreak517 View Post
                        x2 I want to know what the coating is also. Looks great!
                        Hopefully the info I posted above helps you out...if anyone has further questions on the product or procedures, drop me an email....

Here is a photo I took against my customer garage door, showing the difference in overall lighting quality on his Dodge Durango with the drivers side lens restored and the passengers in a state of failure....

Thanks all for the comments, and feel free to visit my Headlight Lens Restoration blog located below my signature...feel free to leave some comments
                        David M. Sylican
                        Innovative Detailing
                        Headlight Lens Restoral
                        Detailing Caddy
                        Join us on Facebook

Comment

Awesome... thanks David. I found some product information and training materials based on what you posted. For anyone interested:

SEM is a leading manufacturer of innovative paints, adhesives and coating products. Our products are developed to exceed your automotive, aerospace and marine repair and refinishing needs.

Comment

David, another top-notch job. Very well done, Sir.

Colin
                            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                              David, another top-notch job. Very well done, Sir.

Colin
                              Thank you cnfowler......kind words as always....

Here is a little video I put together showing the 50/50 (drivers side corrected, passenger side left untouched) of this Dodge Durango's headlight lens transformation....this video really shows the difference between one side that has been restored properly and the other side that is failed under daytime and nighttime conditions...

David M. Sylican
                              Innovative Detailing
                              Headlight Lens Restoral
                              Detailing Caddy
                              Join us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');