• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlastiX Gone Wrong..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PlastiX Gone Wrong..

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
    I worked the UC for about 3-4 mins.. and i used a applicator pad. I have microfiber pads as well as regular pads u use to wax with. I also have a DA with polishing pads and finshing pads if needed.
    Thats perfect, you have a DA.

Try this ive done it quite a few times.

1-Use the 3000 grit paper to make the lens to an uniform and smooth level.

2-Then on the DA use a 4" polishing pad with PlastX on it to remove the sanding marks and polish the headlight. Work for 2 minutes or until the PlastX dries and becomes super dirty cause of old plastic.

3-Remove the PlastX before it dries up in the headlight

4-Repeat step 2 again (Until you feel confortable with the results) and remove the excess of product.

5-After your comfortable with the results, on another pad, put some M105 or UC and work it in the headlight for about 30 Seconds on Speed 4.5 or 5.

That should bring up the Headlight back to life.

Thats IMO, if someone else have some other way to do it, im fine with that.

Best regards,
    Ryan
    Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
    Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
    Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

thanks for the advance ill try it..

Comment

Alright, I think I know what happened. He used the Turtle Wax kit and went through the steps. The last step probably hid the sanding marks from the sanding and made the plastic 'appear' crystal clear. Then he applied the PlastX, which effectively removed the last step of the TW kit. This made the sanding marks reappear.

Colin
        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
          Alright, I think I know what happened. He used the Turtle Wax kit and went through the steps. The last step probably hid the sanding marks from the sanding and made the plastic 'appear' crystal clear. Then he applied the PlastX, which effectively removed the last step of the TW kit. This made the sanding marks reappear.

Colin
          This must be it.

There is simply NO way PlastX could have caused that damage. PlastX uses an extremely fine abrasive that leaves a very refined finish... not to mention applying it with his fingers would mean the product didn't even do a thing but clean off whatever the Turtle Wax left behind - which was masking the sanding marks.

I've repaired several sets of headlights - I can say with certainty that those marks are not from PlastX, and are from sanding. The fact that the Ultimate Compound didn't even dent them only backs that theory up.

At this point you may want to consider a proper Meguiar's headlight kit which comes with an attachment for a power drill. This will have a little more grunt to safely remove those sanding marks.

Try that in a test spot and see if it works, if not, you may need to consider sanding more with a fine sandpaper first.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');