• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to use PlastX on eyeglasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to use PlastX on eyeglasses?

My glasses are a few years old and have some fine scratches in them. The lenses have no anti-reflection or other coating and are not polycarbonate, so I wonder if PlastX might remove the fine scratches?

Re: Safe to use PlastX on eyeglasses?

Originally posted by WB1 View Post
    My glasses are a few years old and have some fine scratches in them. The lenses have no anti-reflection or other coating and are not polycarbonate, so I wonder if PlastX might remove the fine scratches?
    What kind of glasses are they? Protective eyeware?

Normally,anything associated with protection shouldn't be altered and should be replaced if damaged.I have used PlastX on my protective eyeware to remove fine surface scratches and it works fine.

Comment

I used it on some safety glasses at work that had some scratches that made wearing them very annoying. It did remove the bulk of the scratches but it also brought on some "wavyness" in the clarity.

A guy at work and I decided wetsanding them with 2500 was the way to go. Then another go with Plastx. The wavyness remained, but those glasses were scratch free and ULTRA shiny.

The stuff seems to work wonders on everything I put it on, but maybe not the best road to take when it comes to optics. I imagine if these are prescription glasses, there has got to be some sort of product out there specifically for them.

Comment

PlastX is a bit strong.. Perhaps try following it up with an application of M205 to remove the wavyness. Let me know if this works for you.

Comment

If there is no coating, or not worried about it, you can certainly play around with things. PlastX, #105, 205... whatever.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');