• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you can't stop oxidation with meguiars. Any suitable durable clear coat spray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you can't stop oxidation with meguiars. Any suitable durable clear coat spray?

I tried plastX on a really yellow fogged up light, and it didn't clean it up well. i guess if i kept polishing, most of it would come off. But then I'd have to do it again next month when the oxidation comes back.

What the headlamps need is a clear coat paint.

has anyone found a suitable clear coat spray that can resist the elements?
    Has anyone here tried a clear coat spray?

There are a few I found on google, like Krylon uv-resistant acrylic clear spray, and 2k spraymax clear. Krylon claims it's a permanent coating, and since you can spray it on paper, wood, plastic, metal, I think it's flexible.

very very few people on the web mentioned clear coating their headlights. I found one person who did, and he said the yellow gunk didn't come back.

Searching Youtube videos, one $20 headlight restoration product sold at Walmart applies a final hard clear coat, and claims it's a permanent solution.

so, has anyone done this before?

Re: you can't stop oxidation with meguiars. Any suitable durable clear coat spray?

Have you found ANY other companies product that will stop oxidation on you car's headlamps?

Originally posted by link626 View Post

very very few people on the web mentioned clear coating their headlights. I found one person who did, and he said the yellow gunk didn't come back.
    Try doing what he did and that should solve the problem. You can also replace them with new ones.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: you can't stop oxidation with meguiars. Any suitable durable clear coat spray?

no. no creams will stop oxidation.

But that's not the point of my thread.

After removing all the yellow with PlastX, or any other product, the plastic needs a clear coat.

i'm trying to find a solution where i don't have to keep going back and polishing the headlights again and again.

a few people have said that automotive clear paint will crack. So i'm on this quest to find an alternative solution

Comment

Our 3M Clear Bra (Invisible Bra) provides excellent protection for hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, and any surface that is at risk from rock damage.

Google will show up dozens of similar options.
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

Get some adhesion promoter and some automotive clear coat and have at it.

Comment

I agree with Jim and Tyler, any automotive clear coat should do the trick.

I have had great luck with Dupli-Color's clear coat and it seems to be holding up well. It's available at most automotive parts stores like AutoZone, Kragen, Napa, etc.

Ryan
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I say try the clear coat. Did the people you spoke to tell you why they thought it would crack?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan L. View Post
                I agree with Jim and Tyler, any automotive clear coat should do the trick.

I have had great luck with Dupli-Color's clear coat and it seems to be holding up well. It's available at most automotive parts stores like AutoZone, Kragen, Napa, etc.

did you spray the clear coat on the plastic headlights?

Originally posted by CAShine
                I say try the clear coat. Did the people you spoke to tell you why they thought it would crack?
                i didn't speak to anyone. I was just browsing the web, and someone posted that automotive clear paint will crack. So i was hesitant.
                I suspect the tiny amount of plastic expansion and shrinkage causes it to crack i dunno.... though it makes no sense because the clear coat on the car body can withstand desert heat

or maybe automotive paint chips easily, which is another problem..... meaning you can't lay on the clear coat too thick on the plastic

Comment

Originally posted by link626 View Post

no. no creams will stop oxidation.
                  That was my point.

Maybe weigh the cost of replacing the headlights to the cost of what it will take to clear coat them, (do-it-yourselfer style).

What kind of car is this on?

:_
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hi,i have one point of interest here(same as other thread). Why are these particular lights oxidizing on a monthly basis?

Comment

Perhaps the coating on them had worn off or been removed mistakenly (sp?) which caused rapid oxidation. Sort of like a single stage paint with no wax...

Comment

Hi Roush,I've not heard of this before.I don't know much about protective coatings on thse items? Can the plasx not help here?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                          Hi Roush,I've not heard of this before.I don't know much about protective coatings on thse items? Can the plasx not help here?
                          PlastX can abrade the surface and remove hazing, yellowing and scratches. PlastX has a protective polymer and this can help to slow down oxidation but in some cases there are older plastic headlights and probably plastic materials that don't hold up as well as the most current plastic technology and sometimes they can get to the point of no return no matter what you use on them.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike.I've never encountered that particular problem.So,I can see the point of coating them,if possible.

Always handy to know,if I come across an older model of car.

Comment

Are you waxing your headlights?
                              AeroCleanse, LLC
                              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');