• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LaminX for headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaminX for headlights?

I've read quite a few tutorials on restoring headlights and about to start the same of really yellow headlights of my friend's Audi A6. For some reason I have never seen anyone apply LaminX protection film after restoration, is there any particular reason for this?

Thanks!

Re: LaminX for headlights?

the reason is because what makes the headlights get like that is a factory clearcoat,and if you put laminx (im not very famitiar with that),or any clearcoat back after you finish the headlights is going to come back yellow again in a few months leave it in plastic and dont put anything else just put plastic x like once a month and thats it and they will never get back yellow.make sure you remove the factory clearcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mless5 View Post
      I've read quite a few tutorials on restoring headlights and about to start the same of really yellow headlights of my friend's Audi A6. For some reason I have never seen anyone apply LaminX protection film after restoration, is there any particular reason for this?

Thanks!
      Best I can say is I just bought a 2006 Fusion, and am considering the clear Lamin-X for the front lenses. I don't feel like trying to either buff them out if they get sand-blasted, or have to replace them altogether. Lamin-X has been recommended on the Fusion boards by some people, so I thinks its worth a try.

By the way, Lamin-X is a clear sheet (comes in tints too) that you apply over the headlights. Its like the 3M clear bra stuff but thinner.
      Last edited by Solo2; Jun 21, 2008, 07:56 PM. Reason: Duh, use a spell-check, Ed!
      Eddie
      1995 Plymouth Neon Sport Coupe - Nitro Yellowgreen
      1998 Plymouth Neon ACR sedan - Bright Platinum
      2006 Ford Fusion SE V6 - Silver Frost
      Red Bull and vodka tastes worse than gasoline.

Comment

By the way, Lamin-X is a clear sheet (comes in tints too) that you apply over the headlights. Its like the 3M clear bra stuff but thinner.[/quote]

Its actually a bit thicker so its kinda difficult to install on some of the odd shaped headlights. Most are a 20 mil vinyl, 3M and nearly all other automotive paint protection films are 8 mil polyurethane which stretches easier

The GT classes in the Rolex series are required to run yellow covers as a safety precaution. Works great against sandblasting and pitting but a word of warning, some auto manufactureres will void the warranty on the headlights if they find out they've been covered with these products.

Comment

Just remember that the hazing/cloudiness of the headlamps is the result of oxidation. The plastic lenses also have a UV inhibiter on the lenses. Using Plastix or another plastic cleaner will remove the oxidation but not the UV protection, whereas dedicated headlight kits will remove that layer(using harsh abrasives/sand paper will remove the damaged layers but also the UV protection, thus requiring periodic protection). LaminX should be fine for protection, just make sure you are applying to a clean headlamp, otherwise you will lock in contaminants. The Fusion has nice headlamps, but they look expensive to replace.

Comment

I use Lamin-X on my Subaru WRX. It's been on there since day one when I bought the car 3 years ago. It's just now started to show signs of wear. I did a write up on how I cleaned up the Lamin-X using Megs #17, #10, #18. It came out pretty good; if it gets to a point where I can't clean it anymore I will just replace it with a brand new set of film.
            2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
            2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
            2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
            R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Comment

Warning, there is a chance this product WILL CRACK YOUR HEADLIGHTS!!!! Last fall I found this film for my headlights and tailights. I recently pulled it off this summer and fond out that after just a few months of driving with this on it has completly ruined my headlights! I had it brought to 2 different shops including Nissan and was told that the film overheated my lenses resulting in 1000's of hairline cracks! I contact the company to see what they would do about it and of course they gave me their disclaimer about not having to be responsible for their product. Since they will not own up to their product or at least put this disclaimer on their website I will be letting everyone know! Ohh and not to mention I live in Minnesota for gods sake its not even that hot!

Reminder: 4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.
              Last edited by Markus Kleis; Jul 3, 2009, 01:32 PM. Reason: No company bashing

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');