• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Makeover / Wet Sanding Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Makeover / Wet Sanding Job

The weather has been bad here the last couple of days. It's not raining today, but overcast and much colder so I thought I'd spend some time on my sister-in-law's Dodge Stratus (1996 I think). I've been planning on using it as a photo-op for an extreme makeover for my detailing business.

Anyway, spent about 1 1/2 hours on the headlights. I used the small drill pads, Plast-X, M85, 1000 & 1500 papers, and some leftover Gold Class Soap for soaking and spraying the paper. Here's a pic of the products:

Here's what the headlights looked like before:

A closer pic of the right side shows that it was much worse and had "cracks" all in the surface.

I began by taping off the left headlight to see what process I would use. I tried 2 passes of Plast-X on the yellow polishing pad with little change. I then tried a pass of M85 on the wool pad. In the following pic you can see that it looks pretty good, but the line of oxidation (or whatever it is) is still there.

So I proceeded to try my hand at a little wet sanding with Megs 1500 unigrit paper. I soaked the paper in water with Gold Class Soap (just b/c I had some left over and thought I'd use it up instead of my Hyper Wash), followed the techniques described in the video and MOL. By the way, this is basically the Megs process/product package available at ADS.

It took quite a bit of work, but I was happy with the results. I probably could have used 1000 grit, but didn't until I got to the right side. 1500 did very little on the right, so I went with 1000, followed by 1500.

After sanding, I did 2-3 passes with M85 on the wool pad and then followed with 2 passes with Plast-X on the polishing pad. The headlights came out nearly perfect. There were still some spots that could be better, but I was afraid to keep sanding too much. I tried to get those spots in the pics, but they were really too light for the pics even...so I guess I'm happy .

So without further delay, feast upon these pics!! Left first, then right.

Now the right and a close-up with no more "cracks"!!

I will hopefully be getting to the paint and interior in the coming days. Man, this is fun!!

Jonathan

Re: Headlight Makeover / Wet Sanding Job

Great job! I have had good luck with wet sanding headlights also. Thanks for taking the time to post photos and share your process with everyone. I didnt have a cool buffer pad for my drill when I did it, just PlastX by hand. Now I have 4" pads for my G100. I will be trying it out some more when the weather warms up.
    Scott

Comment

Nice job, that is a huge difference...

Comment

They look brand new. Great writeup and pics.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

LOOKS AWESOME!!!

like they're brand new.good job.

what video do you speak of that shows headlight restoration?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

TrufflePig: I am referring to the Megs Paint Defects video that outlines the techniques for wet sanding. It doesn't demonstrate headlight restoration. Sorry if that was a little confusing.

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy99 View Post

TrufflePig: I am referring to the Megs Paint Defects video that outlines the techniques for wet sanding. It doesn't demonstrate headlight restoration. Sorry if that was a little confusing.

Jonathan
              And just a FYI, those videos are available to watch here... Meguiar's How to Remove Paint Defects
              Scott

Comment

ah sweet. thanks. those ones.

to bad you can't rewind and pause these ones though. i've seen some before. i thought you were talking about a new DVD.

Comment

Very impressive! well done

One Q? ur not afraid to collect sand on your pads when you lay them on the ground like that?
                  Progress is perverting an perfectly good idea!

Comment

Jonathan, where did you get the wool and foam pad from?
                    Man, I love your job, I am gonna try it as soon as I got my missing bits and pieces to get the job done like yours.
                    Started back in 2006 reading Mike. P posts and practiced on customers' cars, ended up writing a book, see merawat mobil, Fast forward 2014 established toko salon mobil online (online shop) to cater for car care enthusiasts and local car detailers.

Comment

Originally posted by Max U.S.A View Post
                      One Q? ur not afraid to collect sand on your pads when you lay them on the ground like that?
                      That was for the pic...I'm usually pretty careful about it. I never let the face of the pad touch the ground though. I actually had a sheet on the ground to place everything on while I was working.

Jonathan, where did you get the wool and foam pad from?
                      irsankao - got them online from autodetailingsolutions. I think I like them on the drill better than the smaller pads on the PC or rotary - especially if you're going to work on the lights while they're still on the vehicle.

Jonathan
                      Last edited by audioguy99; Mar 27, 2007, 07:54 PM. Reason: add a thought

Comment

Great job. Are the headlight made with glass or plastic cover? It looks like glass to me.

Comment

Nice job! I can't believe they came out so good.

Comment

agentm: They are plastic.

Thanks again for the comments. They still seem to be holding up just fine.

Comment

damn man thats a very good job man i wish i could do it on mine like that
                              !

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');