• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using CD2 question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using CD2 question.

Hey everyone who taking the time out to read this question.

Well I'm going to clean under the hood tomorrow, cuss my family keeps saying that my truck doesn't look like a clean girl anymore. Cuss once you see under the hood, she kinda dirty (3 months without cleaning), she not a daily driver, but when I do take her out it's usually a hour on the freeway to get to school.

Anyways I planing on just using some Simple Green and Cd2. So my question(s) is when I spray her down with SG, should I hose her down first then spray her with SG? Or just spray with SG and then rinse? Also after drying the engine (turning it on for a couple mins and then repeat process if needed, if not wipe off excess water) do I just spray the CD2 all over the engine or only certain spots? If only certain spots whitch spots? Sorry this is going be my first engine cleaning. Still learning the detailing ropes. Like they always say "You gotta learn how to walk before you run". Unless you got one of them Hoverround Wheelchair like I do, then who really needs to learn how to walk or run, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help and answers.

Re: Using CD2 question.

Be sure to search through the archives for threads devoted to engine block cleaning. Also, check out the articles devoted to engine bay cleaning that are listed here: Internet Resources for Detailing Newbs.

I know that some folks do not like to use Simple Green on their engines. I hear it can stain aluminum, for example. I use APC+ on my engines.

In any case, after covering up the intake and sensitive electronics, you would rinse off your engine with your hose. Spray on your cleaner, allow it to sit for a minute or two, agitate with a brush, and rinse off. You then want to dry off the engine as well as you can. A leaf blower is very helpful. Then spray on the CD-2 onto everything. Follow the instructions on the can.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

^ i heard the same about Simple green...I personally prefer APC+ as well
      "STRIFE" aka Phil
      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

I been looking at other post, on here to see how to clean a engine. Most just tell you the basic and don't go into details. No offense but I really don't want to read 20+ pages worth of questions and post. Specially when, I can just ask a quick question, I do check sticky's though.

I don't want to sound cheap, but SG is all I have right now and I really don't have money to go out and buy more products. I would hold off on cleaning it, but I read it's better to keep up with it then let just gather grim and dirt. So I figure I would use it once and dilute it the best I can. But when I get paid and pay off my bills I will try to see if I can get some new Meg's products. APC is on top of list with some other basic things I need for detailing.

Comment

If you use Simple Green, make sure you dilute it properly. It is a concentrate when you buy it, though most assume it is ready to use. It is generally harsher on aluminum parts, so that may be something to take into consideration depending on the car/engine. You may wish to cover certain things up, like the alternator, PDC, computer/harness, air filter...anything like that which may be in the engine bay. I never cover anything up on my cars, except the truck which is carb'd, so the air filter is in the open. Just me though; the choice is yours.

Here is a chart for properly diluting Simple Green:
          Simple Green | US | Household | ErrorLearn about Simple Green's full line of environmentally safer household cleaning products. Discounts, cleaning tips, reviews, special offers and more.

I use APC+ and Simple Green diluted for light-duty cleaning, as my engines have been cleaned before so it is more of a maintenance cleaning. My engines also do not have aluminum parts either. Go to heavy duty Simple Green ratios (start at 10:1, then maybe 5:1 and 1:1 if really necessary) if the engine needs more than a touch-up cleaning.

Other than a properly diluted cleaner, here is how I detail an engine:
          We encourage MOL members to post reviews on any of Meguiar's Professional Mirror Glaze or Detailer Lines

Oh...BTW, it's "'cuz," not "cuss."

Comment

That process I posted seems "basic," but that is really all there is to it. You just need the products, tools and...guts to actually spray the engine down.

Comment

Roush

Thanks for the information. My truck just needs more of a lite cleaning then anything. Toyota Detailers did such a great job of spraying ArmorAll all over the engine to make it look clean. I figure it's time to give it a real detailing, it's not super dirty, just has dirt from all the rain water, really. I dont got any Aluminum and my air filter has a box over it. The computer/harness is in side the cab, I figure I will just use foil or painters tape for the exposed wires. Also going check out those site you linked right now.

Will take some before and after pics for you guys.

Comment

I can't add to much to what's been said...just don't 'high pressure' the engine after using whatever cleaner you decide on. Just a nice gentle hose down. That way you won't be forcing water into spots that water doesn't belong.

Bill

Comment

I'm holding off on cleaning it. I took a look at it yesterday and some part really need something stronger then SG. So I'm going to go find a store detailing store, that carry PL of Meg's.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');