• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! How to clean cast aluminium(intercooler)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! How to clean cast aluminium(intercooler)?

Does anyone know of a product that can breathe new life into cast aluminum?
    I have tried in the past to clean rough cast aluminum parts such as intake manifolds on other cars and I was never happy with the results. Does anyone know of a product that can breathe new life into cast aluminum?

Thanks...

I would think cast aluminum would be difficult to clean since it is so rough. Other members may have some ideas though.

You could always get some sandpaper of various abrasive levels and smooth the surface to get it ready for polishing. I think just about every aluminum part under the hood of a TA or Camaro has been polished at one time or another. That's beyond my skill (and time) levels though.

Tim can give you some pointers. He polished the hull of his boat! The boat did not come from the factory that way, it was probably painted aluminum to begin with. But you have to see the pictures.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Re: HELP! How to clean cast aluminum(intercooler)?

Originally posted by jonezzz
      Does anyone know of a product that can breathe new life into cast aluminum?
      I have tried in the past to clean rough cast aluminum parts such as intake manifolds on other cars and I was never happy with the results. Does anyone know of a product that can breathe new life into cast aluminum?

Thanks...
      You can use an all purpose cleaner like Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner at the correct dilution and agitate with a nylon bristle brush then rinse with water.

If the parts are off the car, like the intake manifold, you can take it you your local machine shop and ask them to clean it in their solvent tank. These tanks typically use Stoddard solvent that is warmed and they do a pretty good job of getting parts clean. After they have been cleaned a solvent tank you can have them bead blasted and they' come out looking like new.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the input Mike and RamAir!!!......

Comment

i've tried carbcleaner - you just spray it on and watch the aluminum get clean. use a towel to blotch clean it - don't wipe or it will get dirty again. try it in a small area to test - but don't get the overspray on the paint.

good luck
          2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');