• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

08 camry engine detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 camry engine detailing

Hello, I'm still a newbie to detailing. I wanted to post a picture of my vehicle's engine before I even attempt cleaning it. I figure I can place aluminum foil over the vehicle's alternator (tucked in near the coolant cap), plastic bag over the battery, and another plastic bag over the intake (it's that piece laying just right of the center?)

I picked up a can of CD2 Engine Detailer (I’ve read great stuff on the forums about it) and plan to buy a brush and some Simple Green degreaser. Here’s my plan of attack. 1. Cover up alternator, battery, and intake. 2. Mist down the engine. 3. Spray 1:1 solution of Simple Green over engine. 4. Scrub engine with brush. 5. Rinse with mist. 6. Towel off remaining fluids best I can. 7. Spray on CD2. 8. Let dry for 20 minutes. 9. Run engine for a few minutes. 10. Come back later and drive for 20 minutes.

Any recommendations/advice?

border=

Re: 08 camry engine detailing

If you have a leaf blower, you might use it at step 6 to disperse the water and then follow-up with the towel.

I think you will be delighted by the shine CD-2 is going to give your engine!
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Akimel, thanks for the advice. There are a lot of engine cleaner products out there, but I've by far heard the most about CD2.

I don't have a leaf blower, but I could make use of a wet/dry vac to pull up moist areas.

Comment

Your Bay isn't bad.It's mainly just dusty looking.

If use don't feel comfortable about using a pressure washer,you can clean it without....waterless.

Going by your pic,I'd just detail it without water.

Do you have a compressor and a soft brush? They can be used to take away the majority of the dust.After you can detail all the plastic parts.
        I'd still recommend using microfibres,but it's better to use cheaper ones that you don't use for your bodywork.

Comment

One other thought: After they have rinsed off the degreaser, some folks like to run the engine for 5 minutes or so to accelerate the drying. They then towel off the remaining water. I believe, though I'm not sure, that it is best to apply CD2 to a completely dry engine bay. Perhaps one of our MOL members can confirm this.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm not sure about your last remark Al,so i'll skip that one.

Just another point,if you want to wash with pressure washer....

Having your engine warm before cleaning helps to remove dirt and grime.But not hot.

Yes,it's a good idea to run the engine for a few minutes after rinsing to help evaporate pockets of water.I also blow off a lot of water with the compressor first,because I have hard water and don't want white spots left.

One important point...It sounds stupid,but it's easily done. If you are covering various parts with foil or bags and possibly rubber bands being used....Keep a count of what was put in there.One stupid little bag or band left in there can do a lot of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
              One important point...It sounds stupid,but it's easily done. If you are covering various parts with foil or bags and possibly rubber bands being used....Keep a count of what was put in there.One stupid little bag or band left in there can do a lot of damage.
              I keep telling myself during the engine detail "Al, don't forget to take off all the coverings before starting the engine. Don't forget to take off all the coverings before starting the engine. Don't forget ..." So far I haven't forgotten.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

CD-2 is a dressing, not a cleaner.. Also, be careful simple green and aluminum aren't the best of friends, can discolor and etch aluminum before you can grab a hose to rinse. Also, some people are fans of pressure washing instead of a hose.. reason being is a lot less water is going on your engine with the washer. Just don't get it too close to things, I've done probably 40 cars with mine (2600 psi karcher gas) and nary a problem.
                2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Your Bay isn't bad.It's mainly just dusty looking.

If use don't feel comfortable about using a pressure washer,you can clean it without....waterless.

Going by your pic,I'd just detail it without water.

Do you have a compressor and a soft brush? They can be used to take away the majority of the dust.After you can detail all the plastic parts.
                  I'd still recommend using microfibres,but it's better to use cheaper ones that you don't use for your bodywork.

No, i don't have a compressor, but I can get a soft brush. I also don't have a pressure washer. If i did have one, I wouldn't be scared to use it, seeing as I've now had the input from several people in this forum. I might have to look into the waterless method. I'm trying to do this in a practical, cost effective way. It's a 19k vehicle, one which I want to maintain, but not treat like a show car.

Comment

I'm not sure about your last remark Al,so i'll skip that one.

Just another point,if you want to wash with pressure washer....

Having your engine warm before cleaning helps to remove dirt and grime.But not hot.

Yes,it's a good idea to run the engine for a few minutes after rinsing to help evaporate pockets of water.I also blow off a lot of water with the compressor first,because I have hard water and don't want white spots left.

I never considered counting and using rubber bands. Thank you for the seasoned advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellspawn View Post
                      CD-2 is a dressing, not a cleaner.. Also, be careful simple green and aluminum aren't the best of friends, can discolor and etch aluminum before you can grab a hose to rinse. Also, some people are fans of pressure washing instead of a hose.. reason being is a lot less water is going on your engine with the washer. Just don't get it too close to things, I've done probably 40 cars with mine (2600 psi karcher gas) and nary a problem.
                      I purchased the CD-2 because I hear the greatest things about it. What engine cleaner would you reccomend?

Comment

I use APC on my engine and very rarely Super Degreaser on other's cars.

You have to be careful when washing your engine bay and I'll leave it at that. You may want to cruise a Toyota forum and see if anyone has had a bad experience with washing their engine bay and what to stay away from. I know that some models of GM cars don't like water on the engine module of some kind.......

Wanted to add, be careful with a hot motor, blocks like to crack with cold water sprayed on them.....

With that admonishment.....

I usually start with a cold motor, yours looks like dust more than "grease/oil" dirty..... and being an '08 doubtful it is leaking everything all over the place.

I rinse engine bay off, spray down the whole engine bay with my APC diluted 7:1 (easy, fill 28oz water, 4oz of product). I usually try to stay away from the alternator and engine computer gadgets and not spray direct water pressure on them. They are under the hood and water does splash up during the rainy seasons, so I'm not real concerned but be careful as I said. After I let APC sit a moment, I get one of my old brushes and scrub where I can and as needed (I take pretty decent care of the engine) and rinse off.

I see someone mentioned that Simple Green stains, although I used the product a long long time when it came out, I did find it stained aluminum and actually some plastics. I had it stain a lot of my grey interior on a car some years ago and limited my cleaning with it and switched to other products.....Stained green too!

Check this thread out when I washed our Neon engine bay.

'05 Neon Engine Bay

This one by Hemin8r

2005 SRT-4 Engine Detail

Hey gotta get a Neon in on this !
                        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');