• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention all pros!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention all pros!

I had to grab some pics off the web since I don't have a DC. It's pictures of the engines I have. The I4 in the pic given is completely cleaned compared to mine. Please tell me where to spray and what not to spray. The other V6 is much more clean so I don't think I need to clean it so far but please do tell.

Last edited by toyotaowner; Oct 9, 2004, 08:27 PM.
    1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
    2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Cover plugs, wires, fuse boxes, alt... stuff like that. OCDetails link Give this link a try. Don't forget to dress the plastic, hoses and gaskets.

Hope this helps

Good luck.

Comment

Here is the tutorial for pics How to upload your photos into your Meguiar's Online Gallery

Comment

for the most part newer engines have sealed connections an dont have a distributor and other components that were prone to drowining with water. Best advice I can give is to direct your spray away from any major connections and the air intake, you should be fine as long as you dont get carried away. Keep in mind no matter how carefull you are there is still a chance of fouling a connection or sensor, this is why I normally dont do engines.

I use a pressure washer and to date I have not had any problems on any of the engines I have detailed.

I usually spray a mild degreaser and then rinse with the pressure washer and let dry.

DISCLAIMER: ALL ENGINE CLEANING DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK ! I cannot be responsible for any undesitrable results from using the method I have posted above.
        If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

I usually don't cover anything, although if you have the time and the engine is cool, it's better to do so. I'll usually spray it down with the engine cleaner at the car wash and then rinse with the high pressure keeping the end of the wand al least 2 1/2 - 3 ft away from any part of the engine bay. I also make sure not to concentrate on the alternator, fuse boxes, fuel injectors and air intake.

I then drive it home (about 1 mile) and let it sit for a while so the under hood heat evaporates some more water, then spray it down with CD-2 engine detailer....again, avoid the alternator, fuse boxes, serpantine belt(s) and pulleys. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and wipe down any excess spray so it looks uniform.

NOTE: if you drive to the car wash to do this and the engine is hot, do not spray directly on the exhaust manifold/headers. The last thing you want is to replace a cracked manifold.
          Last edited by George G.; Oct 10, 2004, 12:06 PM.
          George G.
          ----------------------------------

Comment

I've circled all the things I've looked over that I think needs to be covered. Feel free to chime in and tell me what to cover/not to cover. However, the cirlced one with the arrow, I don't really know if it's necessary. There are 4 exposed wires with the throttle cable lying on top...hard. Help?

The V6 is pretty much covered except for the battery terminals...

1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
            2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

Comment

I can't make out the two in front and the arrow. I'm guessing the one in back is the plug wires/distributor.
              George G.
              ----------------------------------

Comment

Havn't had to many problems with the newer cars, they seem to finally be getting something right. However if you ever are detailing a c4 corvette. Never power wash the engine bay. There are exposed wires everywhere and have had a few friends endure thousands in repairs because of water damage. Engine looks great!

Comment

i have an 83 pontiac phoenix and a 96 jeep grand cherokee and i have never covered a thing on either when i pressure wash off the motors and havent had a problem to date with either other than a belt squealing to dry off both vehicles have distributors and i still havent had one not start.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');